Luis Fabiano’s regret revealedMarch 25th, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 25 (IANS) Sao Paulo striker Luis Fabiano confessed that he regrets not having played for one of Europe’s biggest teams.
The 31-year-old striker left Sao Paulo in 2004 to play for Portuguese club Porto, later landing at Spain’s Sevilla FC.
At Sevilla, Fabiano quickly became a fan favourite and club idol, Xinhua reported.
Due to his excellent performance over his seven years at Sevilla FC, where he played in 230 games and scored 107 goals, Fabiano attracted the attention of many clubs throughout Europe.
He revealed Saturday that both Spain’s Real Madrid and Italy’s AC Milan officially demonstrated interest in acquiring him. However, Sevilla’s club president did not accept any of the offers, opting to retain the striker during his prime and dominant years of play.
Fabiano said he regretted not having the experience of playing for either one of the big names, stating that he felt sad when reflecting on the past, something that had stained his career and he would always wonder what could have been.
At Sao Paulo, Fabiano is revered to as an idol. In his two stints with the team, he played 194 games, scoring 133 goals.
Fabiano added that if the possibility were to present itself to play for a major European team, he would jump at it. However, he hinted that his retirement may come after the 2014 World Cup.
- Sao Paulo is on a comeback trail, says Fabiano - Apr 26, 2012
- Fabiano enters Sao Paulo's injury list - Jan 30, 2012
- Luis Fabiano leads Sao Paulo to victory - Mar 12, 2012
- Sao Paulo win thriller against Santos - Mar 19, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012
- Sao Paulo secures lead of state championship - Mar 30, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Brazil select 22 players for Olympic football squad - Jul 06, 2012
- Sao Paulo signs Assuncao from Atletico Madrid - Jul 22, 2012
- Forlan, Seedorf promise success for new clubs - Jul 08, 2012
- Defending champions Santos lose Libertadores opener - Feb 16, 2012
- Adriano scores first goal of season, leads Corinthians to win - Feb 26, 2012
- Hulk's Zenit move not certain - Aug 26, 2012
- At 39, Rivaldo continues football career in Angola - Jan 14, 2012
- Santos reach Sao Paulo state championship final - Apr 30, 2012