Lucknow teachers go green with ‘No vehicle day’April 22nd, 2011 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 22 (IANS) In an eco-friendly initiative, the Lucknow University Teachers’ Association (LUTA) has decided to observe “No vehicle day” every month to counter vehicular pollution in the campus.
On the day the teachers will opt for public transport instead of their private vehicles to come to the university, an association official said Friday.
“This is to make the university campus free from vehicular pollution at least one day every month. We believe teachers, who are role models for many, must take such an initiative,” LUTA general secretary R.B. Singh told IANS.
The campaign will begin in May and the day will be decided later, he said.
Lucknow University has about 450 teachers. Over 350 of them come to the campus by private vehicles, including cars, scooters and bikes.
“I am sure our ‘No vehicle day” will help counter the pollution level to a considerable extent. I hope the LUTA initiative would inspire varsity students to take a similar step to keep the campus cean,” added Singh.
The university has over 30,000 students.
According to the LUTA, the initiative has received positive response from various university departments.
A.N. Singh, a teacher from the social work department, told IANS: “The LUTA initiative is admirable. We all need to fight the pollution menace by taking several such steps.”
Students too have hailed LUTA’s decision.
Richa Chitranshi, a post-graduate student, said: “I believe the LU students would support the teachers in the noble mission.”
- Lucknow teachers to start helpline against corruption - May 03, 2011
- Teachers cry foul over scrapping of Anna's function - Apr 27, 2011
- Lucknow University teachers to declare assets - Apr 19, 2011
- Hazare attracts young, old across Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2011
- Lucknow teachers on mass leave to support Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Teachers' strike hits Lucknow varsity, colleges - Nov 21, 2011
- Amitabh not allowed to promote film in Lucknow University - Jul 15, 2011
- Students protests get intense at Agra University - Dec 23, 2011
- Anna Hazare can go wherever he feels like: Salman Khurshid - Apr 27, 2011
- Girl injured in acid attack - Apr 14, 2011
- Panjab University: Tracking down 'criminal' students - Jun 22, 2011
- Lucknow varsity to offer facilities for differently-abled - Jul 20, 2011
- Arrested African students suspended after soccer violence (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- No Panjab University hostel for freshers using cars - Nov 25, 2010
- DUTA to go ahead with protests Thursday - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: bikes, cean, general secretary, graduate student, lu students, lucknow university, luta, pollution level, post graduate, private vehicles, public transport, r b singh, richa, role models, scooters, social work department, teachers association, university departments, university teachers, vehicular pollution