Lucknow, Kanpur to have satellite zoos to handle more animalsNovember 5th, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 5 (IANS) The State Forest Department has decided to open satellite zoos in the Kanpur and Lucknow districts to handle overpopulation of inmates, mainly leopards and monkeys, in the existing zoos, officials informed Wednesday.”We are planning to open a satellite zoo in the Kukrail locality and the site for Kanpur is also in the final stages,” principal secretary of the department Shailesh Krishna told reporters.
There is a large crocodile and tortoise breeding centre in the Kukrail locality and a crane recovery unit will also be set up. The forest department of Dehradun has been given this responsibility, he added.
The Officials held a meeting Tuesday and discussed various problems related to wild animals.
“A committee has been formed to conduct research into the reducing wetlands in the state. The issue of tigers and other wild animals being run over by trains on the Bahraich-Paliya-Mailani rail route was also discussed and railway officials assured that the speed of the trains on this route will be checked,” an official said.
“The plan to create a tiger reserve and an elephant reserve in Pilibhit district is in process and we hope to take a decision soon,” chief wildlife conservator B.K. Patnaik, who attended the meeting, told reporters.
- Three tigers among 69 animals killed in Chhattisgarh - Mar 23, 2012
- Tiger found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 12, 2010
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011
- Tiger cubs found in Tripura - Apr 09, 2011
- Two poachers nabbed with 95 tortoises - May 04, 2011
- Odisha orders probe into five tiger cubs' death - Nov 21, 2011
- Officials face villagers' wrath over leopard attacks - Nov 09, 2011
- Leopard kills girl - Oct 25, 2011
- 16 killed by tigers in Uttar Pradesh in 10 months - Jan 13, 2011
- Tiger kills man in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 26, 2010
- 100 crocodiles escape from flood-hit Thailand farm - Oct 11, 2011
- Another man killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 08, 2011
- Man held with animal hides, antlers in Kanpur - Jul 29, 2010
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Tiger cub spotted in Sariska - Aug 08, 2012