Lucknow custodial death: Supreme Court favours independent probeJuly 8th, 2011 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday said it was in favour of an independent investigation into the custodial death of Lucknow deputy chief medical officer Y.S. Sachan. The court, however, adjourned the hearing till July 14.
While hearing a petition by his widow Malti Sachan, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe, an apex court bench of Justice H.S. Bedi and Justice Gyan Sudha Misra said: “Both of us are in favour of the incident being investigated by an independent agency.”
In the course of the brief hearing, Justice Bedi asked senior counsel U.U. Lalit why not a similar matter pending before the Allahabad High Court be transferred to the apex court.
Justice Bedi said this when Lalit, appearing for the Uttar Pradesh government, suggested that the petition by Malti Sachan be sent to the high court.
The Supreme Court will hear the matter July 14. The High Court will hear it July 12.
Sachan, the prime accused in chief medical officer B.P. Singh’s murder, was June 22 found dead in mysterious circumstances in the washroom of Lucknow district jail hospital where he was under treatment.
- Lucknow jail death: Apex court favours independent probe (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear Sachan death case Friday - Jul 07, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court - Jul 07, 2011
- Court verdict on CBI probe into doctor's murder July 14 - Jul 12, 2011
- Apex court to hear Lalit Modi's plea Oct 20 - Sep 23, 2010
- Justice Bedi to monitor Gujarat 'encounters' probe (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Supreme Court declines to hear Bhatta-Parsaul probe plea (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Decision for CBI probe delayed, says Sachan's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Apex court to hear plea on abducted Odisha legislator - Apr 18, 2012
- Supreme Court not to interfere in CWG probe - Sep 16, 2011
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- 'Consider special team to probe black money abroad' - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, apex court, b p singh, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, court bench, custodial death, district jail, gyan, independent agency, independent investigation, independent probe, lalit, malti, medical officer, misra, mysterious circumstances, senior counsel, sudha, uttar pradesh government