LTTE’s combat-logistic facility destroyed: Sri LankaJune 15th, 2008 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 15 (IANS) Sri Lankan military claimed Sunday that air force supersonic fighter jets have bombed and destroyed “a key combat-logistic facility” of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in the rebel-held Mullaitivu district in the north. “SLAF (Sri Lanka Air Force) fighter jets launched precision air sorties, destroying a key LTTE combat-logistic facility located at Venavil, southwest of Puthukkudiyiruppu in the Mullaitivu district Sunday around 10 a.m,” the defence ministry said in a statement here.
The ministry statement quoting Air Force spokesperson Wing Commander Janaka Nanayakkara said “large explosions were observed from the target site”, and added that the targeted facility was used to convert, maintain and service LTTE combat vehicles.
Claiming that the target was acquired after constant air surveillances and continuously gathered information, the statement said it also had a large fuel dump of the rebels.
“According to latest information received, the LTTE site (bombed) is still burning following a series of explosions that were reported immediately after the morning air raid,” it said.
The fresh air raids came a day after the defence ministry claimed that the government “troops inching towards LTTE territory captured the entire bund of the Periyamadu Tank (about 2.5 km long) in the northwestern Mannar district despite heavy resistance from the rebels on Saturday”.
“It is a major set back to the LTTE terrorists as the security forces gained the whole tank area under their control,” it said, adding that seven soldiers were wounded during the gun-battle.
There was no immediate reaction from the LTTE over the air strikes.
- Sri Lanka launches air raid after LTTE's suicide attack (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2008
- Locations frequented by Prabhakaran bombed: Sri Lanka - Dec 27, 2008
- 12 Sea Tigers men, deputy chief killed, claims Sri Lanka - Feb 05, 2009
- Sri Lanka steps up air raid on suspected LTTE targets - Oct 01, 2008
- Suicide blast kills 12 police personnel amid Sri Lanka fighting (Third Lead) - Jun 16, 2008
- Troops uncover LTTE underground fuel storage - Jan 19, 2009
- Lankan jets repeatedly pound suspected LTTE target - Oct 15, 2008
- Jets pounding LTTE battlefront fortifications: Sri Lanka (Lead) - Dec 13, 2008
- LTTE heavy weapon deployment, boats bombed: Sri Lanka Air Force - Jul 18, 2008
- 'High-profile LTTE hideout' bombed: Sri Lanka - Feb 06, 2009
- Jets pound LTTE camp in Mullaitivu: Sri Lanka - Jan 21, 2009
- Sri Lanka steps up air raids on LTTE strongholds - Jun 05, 2008
- Sri Lankan jets bomb suspected female suicide Tiger base - Oct 30, 2008
- UK Tornado jets launch precision bomb raids on Libya - Mar 26, 2011
- Sri Lankan troops enter strategic town near Mullaitivu: Military (Lead) - Jan 04, 2009