LTTE’s arms manufacturing yard in Wanni bombed: Sri LankaJune 12th, 2008 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 12 (IANS) Supersonic ground attack jets of the Sri Lankan Air Force have bombed an “arms and ammunition manufacturing yard” of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in the rebel-held Wanni region in the north, the Sri Lankan military claimed Thursday. “The targeted LTTE arms and ammunition manufacturing yard was located in general area north of Udayarkattukulam, 15 km west of Pudukudiyiruppu (in Mullaitivu district) and it was engaged around 3.00 p.m. Thursday,” the defence ministry said in a statement.
Quoting air force sources, the ministry said the targeted LTTE base had been under constant “air surveillances for a long period” and intensified activities had also been observed in this facility in the recent past.
“The air sorties were launched based on real-time ground information and the pilots returned completing a successful air raid,” the ministry said.
Meanwhile, at least 13 LTTE cadres and two soldiers were killed during separate clashes between the troops manning the forward defences and the rebels elsewhere in the northern battle fronts Wednesday, the ministry said.
There was no immediate word from the LTTE regarding the fresh clashes.
- 32 killed in Sri Lanka clashes: military - Jul 13, 2008
- Locations frequented by Prabhakaran bombed: Sri Lanka - Dec 27, 2008
- Sri Lanka steps up air raids after fierce weekend clashes - Dec 22, 2008
- 56 Tamil Tigers, 10 soldiers killed in Sri Lanka (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
- Jets pound LTTE camp in Mullaitivu: Sri Lanka - Jan 21, 2009
- Suicide Tiger base bombed in Sri Lanka: defence ministry - Sep 27, 2008
- 12 soldiers killed, 16 missing as pitched battles rage: Sri Lanka - Dec 21, 2008
- LTTE's artillery gun, underwater vehicle captured: Sri Lanka - Jan 29, 2009
- Sri Lanka launches air raid after LTTE's suicide attack (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2008
- LTTE faces annihilation, leadership hiding, says Sri Lanka - Apr 05, 2009
- Sri Lanka steps up attacks on LTTE after taking rebel headquarters - Jan 03, 2009
- LTTE's intelligence headquarters bombed: Sri Lanka - Sep 10, 2008
- 31 Tamil Tigers killed, LTTE positions smashed: Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2009
- Tamil Tigers on last leg declare truce, Sri lanka wants surrender (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- WikiLeaks: Sri Lanka imported radio equipment for LTTE - Jan 08, 2011