LTTE aircraft attack Lankan naval base, four sailors injuredAugust 27th, 2008 - 3:01 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 27 (IANS) At least four Sri Lankan naval sailors were wounded Tuesday night when Tamil Tiger rebels bombed a naval base in the country’s eastern port city of Trincomalee, defence sources said.”LTTE terrorist have carried out an abortive air raid attempt at the Trincomalee naval base a short while ago,” the defence ministry said in a report at around 10.00 p.m. Tuesday.
“The terrorist have dropped two improvised bombs into the navy camp. Only one out of the two bombs exploded and four sailors injured in the attack,” the ministry said in an updated report.
People in the area have heard at least two huge blasts followed by firing by security personnel from various points in the area towards the air.
Military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara told IANS that an LTTE light-aircraft has dropped two bombs between 9 and 9.15 p.m. Tuesday on the Trincomalee dockyard area.
Nanayakkara said the anti-aircraft system in and around the area was immediately activated resulting in the LTTE aircraft to abort its mission and fly back to its hideout in the rebel-held Wanni region.
“Interceptor aircraft of the Air Force have pursued the LTTE aircraft and details are not immediately known,” he said.
This is the first air attack by the LTTE air wing in 10 months, amid fierce fighting in the northern Wanni region between the advancing government troops and the rebels.
The military, which has captured the northwestern Mannar district last month, has now declared that the advancing troops were now operating just 12 km away from the rebel-heartland of Kilinochchi.
This is the fifth LTTE air attack and all the five times they have managed to escape after the attacks.
There was no immediate response from the LTTE on the latest attack.
The last LTTE air attack was in October last year when at least two LTTE aircraft carried out attacks on a key air force base in the north-central Anuradhapura district to assist a ground ambush of a team of 21 LTTE suicide cadres on the air base.
- Tamil Tigers make air strike at naval base in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Aug 27, 2008
- 10 hurt in LTTE air attack on key naval base in Trincomalee - Aug 27, 2008
- Tamil Tigers’ aircraft attacks Sri Lankan naval base - Aug 27, 2008
- LTTE attacks air force base, rebel aircraft destroyed - Sep 09, 2008
- Sri Lanka destroys LTTE plane after Tiger raid on air base (Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- LTTE aircraft destroyed during raid on Sri Lankan air base (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- LTTE attack on key military base thwarted: Sri Lanka (Third Lead) - Sep 09, 2008
- LTTE air strikes cannot change military balance: Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2008
- LTTE planes bomb Colombo, shot down (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2009
- Rebel bombing of Sri Lanka naval base kills four sailors (Lead) - Aug 27, 2008
- Western Naval Command's base depot commissioned - Jul 10, 2012
- LTTE aircraft attack Sri Lankan capital (Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- Pakistani naval base siege ends: Report - May 23, 2011
- Indian Navy intercepts pirate's ship, nabs 61 pirates - Mar 14, 2011
- LTTE aircraft attack Colombo, Mannar - Oct 29, 2008