Lt. Gen. Thamburaj new Indian Army vice chiefJanuary 1st, 2009 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 1 (IANS) Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj Thursday took over as the vice chief of the Indian Army from Lt. Gen. M.L. Naidu, who retired Wednesday.A 1969 batch officer, Thamburaj has seen action during the 1971 India-Pakistan War and has participated in counter-insurgency operations in the northeast and Jammu and Kashmir. His last posting was as general officer commanding-in-chief of the Pune-based Southern Command.
During his career spanning 38 years Thamburaj has held many important assignments, including brigade major of a mountain brigade, command of 411 Parachute Field Company, and command of his parent unit 109 Engineer Regiment in a high altitude area in the eastern region.
Thamburaj has commanded a Rashtriya Rifle Sector in a counter-insurgency environment during Operation Vijay in 1999 and an infantry division in the desert during Operation Parakaram in 2001. ides, he has been an instructor at the Defence Services Staff College at Wellington and the Officers Training Academy at Chennai.
For his distinguished service, Thamburaj has been awarded the Sena Medal and twice the Chief of the Army Staff Commendation Card.
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Lieutenant General PC Bhardwaj takes over as Army Vice Chief - Oct 01, 2009
- Lt. Gen Noble Thamburaj takes over as Vice Chief of the Army staff - Jan 01, 2009
- Assam Rifles gets new chief - Aug 24, 2012
- Lt Gen P.C. Bhardwaj takes over as army vice chief - Oct 01, 2009
- Army's northern command gets new chief - Jan 01, 2011
- Gen. V.K. Singh: Tough soldier who lost a legal battle (Profile) - Feb 10, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- India, France perfect counter-insurgency warfare skills - Oct 21, 2011
- Bhardwaj takes over as Indian Army vice chief Thursday - Sep 30, 2009
- New chief of staff for Eastern Naval Command - May 02, 2011
- India, Indonesia troops train in guerrilla warfare - Mar 01, 2012
- NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image) - Apr 19, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Halgali is new deputy chief of Indian Army - Feb 13, 2012
- Sikh to assume charge as Singapore Army Chief on March 25 - Mar 05, 2011