Lt. Gen. Halgali is new deputy chief of Indian ArmyFebruary 13th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 13 (IANS) Lt. Gen. Ramesh Halgali, a whistle-blower in the 2009 70-acre Sukna military station land scam in West Bengal that led to court martial of senior army officers, Monday took over as the deputy chief of army staff.
He will be in charge of information systems and training in the army headquarters, an army release said here.
Commissioned into the Sikh Light Infantry regiment in December 1972, Halgali has attended Defence Services Staff College, National Defence College, a Senior Fellows Course in Washington DC, and is an M.Phil. from DAV Institute of Management, Indore.
The officer has held many important staff and instructional assignments. He commanded an infantry brigade and division in Jammu and Kashmir and a corps in Western sector. Till recently, he was director general of military training.
He was awarded Sena Medal (Gallantry) in 1992 and the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for distinguished service in 2012.
His name figured among the officers involved in the Sukna military station land scam, as he had served as the chief of staff to Lt. Gen. P.K. Rath at the corps headquarters there. But later, it came to light that he was the whistle-blower and was let off.
- Army court's verdict in Sukna land scam soon - Jan 18, 2011
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Land scam: Army set to court martial Lt. Gen. Avadesh Prakash - May 19, 2011
- Lt Gen Kakria is armed forces medical services chief - Jun 01, 2011
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image) - Apr 19, 2012
- Tainted General questions disciplinary action - Feb 04, 2010
- Army court convicts senior general in Sukna land scam (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- President Patil confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 18, 2011
- Antony recommends disciplinary action against Lt General Prakash - Jan 27, 2010
- Army chief asks media not to prejudge senior army officers - Dec 02, 2009
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- Sukna land scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash sacked by court martial (Roundup) - Dec 03, 2011
- Assam Rifles gets new chief - Aug 24, 2012
- Court martial of army's former military secretary complete - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: army headquarters, army officers, army staff, chief of army, corps headquarters, defence services, indian army, infantry brigade, instructional assignments, jammu and kashmir, land scam, light infantry regiment, m phil, military station, national defence college, sikh light infantry, staff college, west bengal, western sector, whistle blower