Low-intensity blast near Delhi High Court, no casualties (Intro Roundup)May 25th, 2011 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) A crude bomb went off outside the Delhi High Court complex Wednesday, but there were no casualties or damage, police said.
Police sources said they are investigating the involvement of terrorist outfits involved in earlier blasts in the national capital.
“We are investigating all angles. So far, no one has claimed any responsibility,” Special Commissioner of Police Dharmendra Kumar told IANS.
Hours after the bomb blast, the Delhi Police handed over the case to its Special Cell anti-terror squad.
“The blast case has been transferred to Special Cell as they were better equipped and trained to investigate such cases,” the police officer said.
Interestingly, an anonymous letter was received stating that a blast would occur on May 25.
“The station master of New Delhi Railway Station received a handwritten letter a few days ago in which it was hinted that a blast would take place in Delhi on May 25, but no specific location was mentioned,” a senior police officer told IANS.
A senior railway official confirmed it.
“The letter also mentioned that the blast would be either at the station or some crowded place or market. We then handed over the letter to the Delhi Police,” the railway official told IANS.
The blast occurred around 1.15 p.m., on a busy weekday afternoon when the court was in session, just a few metres from the high court complex.
The explosion took place near the right-hand front wheel of a silver Ford Figo car in a parking bay.
“A small packet was kept close to a car in the parking near gate number seven of the Delhi High Court,” Kumar said.
He said it initially looked as if the blast had occurred in the car belonging to lawyer Rajat Jain. Investigations showed it was a crude bomb.
“It was not an accident,” he stressed, adding that white powder was found around the car.
“The car with registration number DL4C AF 7935 suffered only superficial damage,” Kumar said, adding that no one was injured.
“It was a low intensity blast. It is an open access area and anyone can come here. The lawyer to whom the car belonged had nothing to do with the blast. Jain parked his car at around 10 a.m. in the morning and then left for the court,” Kumar said.
He said no other car in the parking area was damaged.
An eyewitness, Sanjay Bhatt, said: “There was a sudden blast in the parking lot. We rushed to the spot and found a black bag burning beside the car.”
Parking attendant Dharamvir Singh said they doused the fire.
“We rushed to the court canteen and brought buckets of water to douse the fire,” Dharamvir told IANS.
Varun Raj, another eyewitness, said: “There was a blast beside the car and I rushed to the spot to see along with other people. Around 100 people rushed near the car to see what happened. A bag was in flames. We all moved back a few steps and a man doused the fire.”
Raj, who deals in law books in the court, said he saw a few iron nails, white powder and another plastic bag below the car. “The car was not damaged much, however, we all were scared. The impact of the blast was limited to Jain’s car only.”
The Delhi Police, however, denied that there were shrapnel in the packet.
Following the blast, the Delhi Police sounded a high alert across the capital and beefed up security in crowded places and markets.
A Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team, Special Cell and Crime Branch personnel and Delhi Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta inspected the site.
“The whole area is cordoned off. Forensic team is collecting samples and analysing the pattern of blast,” said Kumar.
The National Security Guard (NSG) elite commando unit and a bomb squad team too reached the spot.
The last terror attack in the national capital took place in September 2008 when blasts in five different places left 26 people dead and more than 100 injured.
Delhi High Court Bar Association secretary D.K. Sharma alleged a conspiracy behind Wednesday’s blast and sought better security.
“It is a conspiracy, someone intentionally kept the bag. All the vehicles will be allowed to enter only after proper scrutiny.”
Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice G.S. Sistani visited the spot and said they would review security in the court premises.
- Blast near Delhi High Court, no casualties (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Low-intensity blast near Delhi High Court, no casualties (Roundup) - May 25, 2011
- Blast near Delhi High Court, no casualties (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Delhi on high alert after blast near high court - May 25, 2011
- Delhi blast probe: missing car may hold clue - Sep 08, 2011
- Less than 250 gm explosive used in high court blast: Report - May 27, 2011
- No headway in Delhi High Court blast case: Pillai - May 28, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh on alert after Delhi blast - May 25, 2011
- Explosion in Israel embassy car, four injured (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- No headway in Delhi High Court blast case: Pillai (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Indian Mujahideen hand in bomb attack being probed (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Two people could be involved in magnetic bomb blast - Feb 14, 2012
- One arrested for Delhi High Court blast - May 27, 2011
- Delhi court blast suspect arrested in Ghaziabad (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Israeli embassy car targetted in Delhi, four injured in blast (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: anonymous letter, bomb blast, casualties, commissioner of police, delhi high court, delhi police, dharmendra, figo, handwritten letter, number seven, police officer, police sources, railway official, railway station, registration number, silver ford, superficial damage, terror squad, terrorist outfits, weekday afternoon