Looking for home, freedom fighter’s widow approaches courtJune 23rd, 2008 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday asked the government to respond to the petition of an 85-year-old widow of a freedom fighter, who has challenged an order evicting her from the house allotted to her. A vacation bench of Justices S.L. Bhayana and Rajiv Shakdher asked the central government to file its reply by Friday.
Gyanwati Darbar, widow of freedom fighter B.S. Darbar, says she was part of the ‘Bharat Chhodo Andolan’ (Quit India Movement).
The couple was allotted a class IV accommodation at Lodhi Road in central Delhi in 1985 after the government decided in 1984 to provide homes to all freedom fighters.
A government review in 1994 also found the accommodation allottment to the couple was valid.
When her husband died in 2001, the government said she could continue to live there. However, a year later, the allotment was cancelled and since then she has been moving from one court to another to obtain a stay on the order.
On June 2, she was ordered again to vacate the house and she did so after much resistance.
- Government to provide house to freedom fighter's wife - Jun 27, 2008
- TDP evicted, DMK gets Room No.5 in Parliament House - Nov 23, 2011
- Khaleda Zia evicted from home (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Court asks railways to restore barber shop to widow - Apr 07, 2011
- Under pressure, president forgoes post-retirement Pune home (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- President Patil condoles passing away of veteran freedom fighter Satyawati - Oct 27, 2010
- Pratibha Patil's new Pune retirement home not yet ready - Jul 22, 2012
- Rent dues notice to Meira Kumar withdrawn - May 08, 2012
- Riot victims' rehabilitation national duty: SC - Sep 19, 2012
- President forgoes post-retirement accommodation in Pune - Apr 27, 2012
- NTR's widow evicted from house - Dec 02, 2011
- President forgoes post-retirement accommodation in Pune (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned twice over ministry reply on freedom fighter - Aug 29, 2011
- Sonal Mansingh's eviction case to be heard again - Sep 12, 2011
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010