Lone voter in Gir forest to vote in Lok Sabha pollMarch 2nd, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, March 2 (IANS) A priest, who is the lone voter in Banej village deep inside the Gir forest - the home to Asiatic lions - in Gujarat, Monday said he would vote in the Lok Sabha poll.
Living in a temple in the forest, Guru Shree Bharatdasji Bapu is the only voter in the village, which comes under the Una assembly segment of the Junagadh Lok Sabha constituency. He had also voted in the 2007 Gujarat assembly poll with a booth set up at an ashram, inhabited by 30 devotees, inside the forest.
Talking to IANS over telephone from Banej, Bharatdasji said that during the assembly poll, two poll officials and an armed policeman travelled deep inside the forest to reach the booth.
“They remained in the ashram from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. even after I had voted. They said it was the rule,” he recalled.
The priest said he frequently travelled outside the forest.
“I do travel outside the forest to other regions of Gujarat. I have been coming to Ahmedabad often to meet my devotees,” he said, adding that district officials from Junagadh and Una visited his ashram at times before the polls as he was the only voter in Banej.
Banej, 29 km from Junagadh, is a pilgrimage centre for the people of Junagadh and Una and even the villagers who live inside the forest visit the temple regularly.
- Lone elector in Gir forest polling booth casts his vote - Apr 30, 2009
- India's democracy reaches out to lone voter in remote forest (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh's Asiatic Lion safari plan finalised - Jun 10, 2012
- Asaram Bapu survives chopper crash, probe ordered - Aug 29, 2012
- In Maoist bastion of Bastar, 200 polling booths relocated - Apr 28, 2011
- Bastar votes in by-poll amid Maoist firing (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Peaceful start to UP elections, 62 percent turnout (Evening Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- BJP MP's nephew arrested for role in Amit Jethwa murder case - Sep 07, 2010
- Stones pelted at Salman Khursheed's wife Louis - Feb 19, 2012
- RTI activist Amit Jethwa shot dead in Gujarat - Jul 21, 2010
- Polling begins for Bastar amid Maoist violence - May 08, 2011
- Around 75 percent voting in Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Cold keeps voters indoors in UP (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Slain RTI activist's father wants action against MP - Aug 01, 2011
- Accused BJP MP goes underground in Right to Information activist murder case - Jul 22, 2010