London rooftop gardens to feed 2012 OlympiansNovember 3rd, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 3 (IANS) Mayor Boris Johnson wants Londoners to convert unused spaces, including rooftops, into vegetable gardens in order to feed 2012 Olympians with products grown in the British capital.Johnson plans to convert roof gardens, disused railway yards, housing estates and school gardens in a drive aimed at achieving “a sea of green in the air”, The Times reported, adding the initiative is to be launched Tuesday.
The Mayor aims to create 2,012 new growing spaces in time for the Olympics, partly by offering owners of flat roofs incentives to convert their space into gardens.
London’s flat roofs, where gardens can use rainwater, offer an area roughly 24 times the size of Richmond Park, the 2,360-acre urban park in the British capital.
The newspaper quoted Rose Boycott, chair of London Food - a body created by the Mayor - as saying roof gardens are ideal for growing vegetables and that hospitals could grow food in their canteens.
“This accommodates anything, from roof gardens to gardens in youth offender institutions, to canal banks and banks of reservoirs - the lost of pieces of land that are just gathering dust.”
“The eyes of the world will be on London (during the Olympics) and it is very important tit is as sustainable as it can be,” she added.
- Olympic rings launched on Thames - Feb 29, 2012
- Grow fresh tomatoes, beans on your roof tops - Feb 10, 2012
- London Olympic Village sold for 557 mn - Aug 14, 2011
- West Ham beat Tottenham for Olympic Stadium takeover bid - Feb 12, 2011
- 'Ark Hotel': a 'self-contained haven' in case of climate change disaster - Jan 11, 2011
- Thought for food (Olympic diary) - Aug 03, 2012
- London Mayor upbeat over upcoming Olympics - Jul 20, 2012
- London mayor left hanging in mid-air - Aug 02, 2012
- British guard stuns paperless Cameron - Jul 31, 2012
- Orbit tower unveiled in London's Olympic park - May 12, 2012
- Northeast's fourth mega food park in Tripura - Jul 29, 2012
- London mayor doesn't want to be PM - Aug 09, 2012
- London Olympics means $26 bn boost for Britain - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- Overseas businesses in London see benefits from 2012 Olympics - Jun 17, 2011