Loksatta editor’s home attacked, six arrested (Lead)June 5th, 2008 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 5 (IANS) A mob of around 70 people, calling themselves activists of the Shivsangram Sanghatana, attacked editor of the Marathi daily Loksatta Kumar Ketkar at his home in Thane near here Thursday, police said. Six people were arrested later. The activists, who threw stones at the house and damaged furniture and fittings, were protesting against Kelkar’s recent editorials on Shivaji in the newspaper.
Police said Ketkar and his family were at home when it was attacked but they escaped unhurt. They live in a ground floor flat in Hundiwala House in Thane East, abutting Mumbai.
General secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party’s Maharashtra unit Vinod Tawade was among several leaders who called on the Ketkars to express solidarity with them.
“The attack was pre-planned as the activists had come armed. I strongly condemn this attack on the fourth estate,” Tawade told mediapersons.
Several other leaders from various parties, mediapersons, representatives of social organisations and others have rushed to the Ketkars to offer support and condemn the attack.
Ketkar went to a police station and lodged a complaint.
- Marathi daily's editor attacked, six arrested (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2008
- Mob attacks Loksatta editor's house - Jun 05, 2008
- Mumbai scribes, activists to protest attacks on media - Jun 09, 2008
- Shiv Sainiks storm Times Of India office, damage reception (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Press Club condemns Times of India attack - Jan 28, 2012
- Hindu groups demand ban on Muslim bodies - Aug 13, 2012
- Maharashtra to probe housing quota misuse - Apr 04, 2012
- BJP demands CBI probe into Mumbai scribe's murder - Jul 26, 2012
- Attacks on scribes: Press council team visits Mumbai - Apr 24, 2012
- Political activist dies after arrest - Jan 12, 2011
- Journalists' delegation meets Chavan to seek action on attack - Feb 01, 2012
- NGO demands 'cover up' for Shiv vada-paav stalls - Jan 10, 2012
- Scribes protest Shiv Sena attacks, governor wants 'exemplary action' - Nov 21, 2009
- Cotton farmers' stir intensifies in Maharashtra - Nov 16, 2011