Lokpal bill: Government accuses BJP of double standardsAugust 4th, 2011 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) The government Thursday accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of “double standards” for opposing the Lokpal bill, which was introduced in parliament, and pointed out that the chief minister was excluded from the purview of the Lok Ayukta in the BJP-ruled states.
“It’s a classic example of double standards and double speak,” Human Resource Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters here hours after the Lokpal bill was introduced in parliament.
Sibal was referring to the speech of Sushma Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, in which she demanded that the prime minister be brought within the Lokpal’s ambit even while he or she held office.
In the states where they (the BJP) are in power, the office of the chief minister is excluded from the purview of the Lok Ayukta, Sibal said.
Referring to Sushma Swaraj’s speech, Home Minister P. Chidambaram said her criticism was driven by desire to make a political point.
“We have kept our promise to introduce the bill in the monsoon session of parliament. It is our intention to get the bill passed as soon as possible,” Chidambaram said.
Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy introduced the Lokpal bill soon after the government rejected Sushma Swaraj’s opposition.
The proposed legislation does not bring under Lokpal’s purview the prime minister when he holds office. But once he demits office, he or she can be investigated by Lokpal for any wrongdoing as prime minister.
It also excludes from Lokpal’s ambit the judiciary and any action of an MP in parliament or any parliamentary committee.
- Lokpal bill comes to parliament, BJP, Team Anna protest (Round-up) - Aug 04, 2011
- Lokpal Bill introduced in parliament, opposition protests (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Lokpal bill in parliament -- amid protests (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Lokpal bill comes to parliament, opposition protests (Third Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Lokpal bill discriminates: Sushma Swaraj - Aug 04, 2011
- Burning Lokpal bill an affront to parliament: Government - Aug 04, 2011
- Lokpal bill to be introduced in Lok Sabha Thursday (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Sushma praises PM, slams Congress - Aug 27, 2011
- Lokpal bill to be introduced in Lok Sabha Wednesday? (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Consensus eludes all-party meet on Lokpal bill (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Cabinet clears draft Lokpal bill; angry Team Anna protests (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Congress moots all-party meeting, parties divided on Lokpal (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2011
- Lokpal bill: Key differences between government, civil society - Aug 04, 2011
- Amid opposition, Lokpal bill tabled with minority quota (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- All party meet on Lokpal bill ends amid differences (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, home minister, human resource, judiciary, kapil sibal, leader of opposition, lok ayukta, Lok Sabha, minister of state, monsoon session, New Delhi, p chidambaram, parliament, parliamentary committee, prime minister, purview, sushma swaraj, wrongdoing