Lokpal Bill drafting committee to meet Saturday (Second Lead)April 15th, 2011 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) The joint committee for drafting the anti-graft Lokpal Bill will hold its first meeting here Saturday, government sources said.
The meeting of the 10-member committee, comprising five ministers and five civil society representatives, will begin at 11.30 a.m., sources added.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee is the chairman of the committee while social reformer Anna Hazare, who went on a 97-hour fast here to demand a stronger Lokpal (ombudsman) Bill to tackle corruption, is one of the five members from the civil society.
Law Minister Veerappa Moily, Home Minister P. Chidambaram, Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Kapil Sibal and Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khursheed are the other ministerial members.
Former law minister Shanti Bhushan, representing the civil society, is the co-chairman.
Besides Hazare and Shanti Bhushan, lawyer Prashant Bhushan, Right To Information activist Arvind Kejriwal and former Supreme Court judge N. Santosh Hegde are also on the committee.
All members of the committee are likely to attend the meeting, sources said.
“The first meeting is likely to be of an introductory nature,” Prashant Bhushan told IANS here.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has said that the bill will be introduced in the monsoon session of parliament in July.
- Lokpal Bill drafting panel to meet Saturday - Apr 15, 2011
- Amidst mud-slinging, Lokpal joint committee meets Saturday (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2011
- Hazare to attend Lokpal drafting panel meeting - Apr 14, 2011
- Lokpal Bill drafting committee to meet today - Apr 16, 2011
- Lokpal Bill: First joint drafting committee meet ends, next on May 2 - Apr 16, 2011
- Lokpal Bill draft panel to meet in capital - May 07, 2011
- Consensus in Lokpal drafting panel on independence (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Govt. reiterates its commitment to introduce strong Lokpal Bill - Apr 16, 2011
- Lokpal should be independent, agree panel members (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Anna to boycott Lokpal panel meeting - Jun 05, 2011
- What does the government's gazette notification say? - Apr 09, 2011
- Lokpal Bill draft panel has 'very good' second meeting - May 02, 2011
- No rift with Anna's team, will attend Lokpal meeting: Hegde (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Lokpal bill draft to be ready by June 30, says Veerappa Moily - Apr 10, 2011
- Drafting of Lokpal Bill requires legal expertise, says Shanti Bhushan - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: arvind kejriwal, former supreme court judge, home minister, hrd minister, human resource development, introductory nature, kapil sibal, law minister, manmohan singh, ministerial members, minority affairs, monsoon session, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, social reformer, society representatives, supreme court judge, veerappa