Lokayukta to probe graft charges against YeddyurappaAugust 20th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Aug 20 (IANS) Karnataka’s new Lokayukta (ombudsman) Justice (Retd) Shivaraj V. Patil Saturday accepted Governor H.R. Bhardwaj’s recommendation to probe bribe-taking charges against B.S. Yeddyurappa, who quit as chief minister July 31.
Patil, who took over on Aug 3, has deputed Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Jeevan Kumar Gaonkar to investigate the charge that Rs.30 crore had been paid to Yeddyurappa’s kin by firms allegedly involved in illegal mining, the Lokayukta office said in a press release.
Gaonkar is an additional director general of police attached to Lokayukta.
Patil’s predecessor, N. Santosh Hegde, had July 27 recommended to Bhardwaj that Yeddyurappa be tried in this case. In its wake, Yeddyurappa, Karnataka’s first Bharatiya Janata Party chief minister, quit.
In his voluminous report on illegal mining submitted on July 27 Hegde said that the Prerana Trust, run by Yeddyurappa’s two sons, had received Rs.10 crore in donation from a mining firm.
The two sons also received Rs.20 crore from another mining firm in the sale of an acre of land, the former Lokayukta’s report said.
One of the sons, B.Y. Raghavendra is a BJP Lok Sabha member from Shimoga, about 280 km from Bangalore.
Bhardwaj had directed the Lokayukta on Aug 4 to investigate the bribe charge against Yeddyurappa and submit a report.
Yeddyurappa has denied the charges. He also moved the high court, challenging the Lokayukta’s findings against him.
Apprehending arrest in this and other cases, Yeddyurappa has also sought anticipatory bail from the high court.
Both his petitions are being heard by different benches of the high court.
- Yeddyurappa's graft probe picks up pace - Aug 22, 2011
- Ombudsman to act on governor's sanction against Yeddyurappa - Aug 09, 2011
- Yeddyurappa moves court against Lokayukta report - Aug 02, 2011
- Everybody joins corruption chorus in Karnataka (Karnataka Newsletter) - Nov 19, 2011
- Ex-PM Deve Gowda's 'threat' to top cop under probe - Nov 13, 2011
- Hearing on Yeddyurappa plea against mining deferred - Aug 10, 2011
- Court relief for Yeddyurappa in illegal mining case - Mar 07, 2012
- An eventful Wednesday for Karnataka - Aug 03, 2011
- Former judge Shivaraj Patil new Karnataka Lokayukta - Jul 26, 2011
- New Lokayukta to study probe report on mining scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Court quashes bribery case against Yeddyurappa (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- High court dismisses Yeddyurappa's plea - Aug 29, 2011
- Karnataka caught in ugly spectacle over Lokayukta - Nov 14, 2011
- Hegde wants Yeddyurappa prosecuted for graft, BJP hit (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2011
- Karnataka gets new Lokayukta Aug 3, maybe a chief minister - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: acre of land, bangalore, benches, bharatiya janata party, bhardwaj, bjp, bribe, chief minister, crore, graft charges, indian police service, karnataka, lok sabha member, ombudsman, party chief, petitions, raghavendra, santosh, shimoga, voluminous report