Lok Sabha to debate Lokpal issue Saturday: BansalAugust 26th, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) The Lok Sabha will Saturday take up the Lokpal issue for debate after Leader of the House and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee makes a statement on the matter, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said here Friday.
Mukherjee, Bansal said, will make the statement immediately after the house assembles for the day’s sitting and the house will debate the issue following the statement.
“The opposition BJP had objected to a debate Friday when the deputy speaker had taken up a notice from Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit on the Lokpal issue.
“Their demand was that the government should make a statement instead of a private member’s notice. The government has agreed to it,” Bansal told reporters at the parliament house here.
“Now, the leader of the house and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will make a suo motu statement and he had requested permission from the Speaker, who has permitted it. There is no rule for such a debate and it will be on the statement of the minister,” he added.
Bansal expressed the hope that the debate will take place in a congenial atmosphere in the house.
He also appealed to Anna Hazare, who has been on a fast for the past 11 days pressing for a strong and effective Lokpal Bill, to withdraw his fast.
- Mukherjee says discussions in both houses after his statement - Aug 27, 2011
- Congress meets to chalk out Lokpal strategy (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Lokpal debate in parliament Saturday; Anna firm on key demands (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2011
- I hope Anna's fast ends today: Bansal - Aug 27, 2011
- Young Congress MPs nuance Congress stance on Hazare fast - Aug 26, 2011
- BJP says Chidambaram's clarification violates rules - May 11, 2012
- Rajya Sabha to take up Lokpal debate at 12 - Aug 27, 2011
- Pranab initiates Lok Sabha debate on Lokpal - Aug 27, 2011
- Voice vote on Anna demand at 8 p.m. - Aug 27, 2011
- BJP says Chidambaram's clarification violates rules (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned as BJP protests over Lokpal debate - Aug 26, 2011
- Lok Sabha to sit Saturday, may discuss Lokpal - Aug 26, 2011
- Deshmukh conveys parliament's decision to Hazare - Aug 27, 2011
- Discussions with government 'fruitful': Team Anna - Aug 24, 2011
- My comments were distorted, says Pranab - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, anna hazare, bansal, bjp, congenial atmosphere, congress, deputy speaker, finance minister, Lok Sabha, mp, New Delhi, opposition, parliament, parliament house, parliamentary affairs, pawan kumar, pranab mukherjee, private member, sandeep dikshit, suo motu