Lok Sabha nod for bill on welfare of unorganised sectorDecember 17th, 2008 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 17 (IANS) Parliamentary approval was Wednesday accorded to a bill that aims to extend social security cover and other benefits to nearly 95 percent of the country’s workforce that is said to be in the unorganised sector.The Unorganised Workers Social Security Bill, 2008, was passed by the Lok Sabha, the lower house, Wednesday. The Rajya Sabha, the upper house, had passed the bill in October.
The bill calls for the central government to notify social security schemes in some 10 areas covering general and health insurance, pension, old age protection and maternity insurance, apart from welfare schemes for artisans and weavers.
It also provides for states to notify schemes for unorganised workers covering provident fund, injury benefit, housing, education, skills upgrade, funeral assistance and old age homes.
On the operative side, the bill provides for a 36-member National Social Security Board to be chaired by the labour minister, with representatives from the employees and employers from the unorganised sector, civil society, government and states.
The board will, among other issues, recommend social security schemes, monitor the programmes and review the progress in issuing identity cards to unorganised workers.
- Cabinet okays Rs.1,000 crore fund for unorganised workers - Jul 28, 2011
- Why no social security for unorganised workers, NAC asks government - Apr 30, 2012
- Civil society demands universal pension for elderly - May 04, 2012
- National Advisory Council reviews its progress - Jul 06, 2012
- Advisory council to focus on workers welfare - Jan 03, 2012
- Registration drive for construction worker welfare begins in Delhi - Jul 25, 2010
- Cashless health insurance for 4.75 mn domestic workers - Jun 23, 2011
- Government health insurance to cover beedi workers - Mar 15, 2012
- Minister agrees to amend law after judge's criticism (Lead) - Jul 12, 2009
- Kerala to pay pensions through banks - May 29, 2012
- 7 mn unorganised sector workers to get pensions - Apr 12, 2012
- President Patil hopes Women's Reservation Bill will be considered by Lok Sabha - Feb 21, 2011
- Cabinet approves implementation of Swavalamban Scheme - Aug 09, 2010
- Old age security scheme for informal sector workers - Aug 09, 2010
- Key bills expected in parliament's winter session (To go with parliament Curtain Raiser) - Nov 20, 2011