Lok Sabha adjourned over US gurdwara attackAugust 9th, 2012 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was adjourned Thursday after heated exchanges between Akali Dal members and the government over the recent attack on a US gurdwara by a lone gunman who killed six devotees.
Akali Dal members raised the issue during zero hour and alleged that the central government was not doing anything in the matter.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal countered them saying they should have instead opted for a calling attention motion on the subject to which the government would have been obliged to reply.
“We are concerned over the issue… why are you playing politics over it… what has your (Shirmani Akali Dal) government (in Punjab) done in the matter,” Bansal said in the house.
This did not satisfy the Akali Dal members who continued to create a ruckus in the house forcing AIADMK leader M. Thambidurai, who was in the chair, to adjourn the Lok Sabha till 2 p.m.
Earlier, Congress member Partap Singh Bajwa expressed condolences for those killed in the attack on a gurdwara in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Sunday.
BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan also expressed his party’s concern over the incident.
- Lok Sabha adjourned over US gurdwara attack (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Enemy property bill withdrawn (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Enemy Property Bill - Aug 30, 2010
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- India in touch with US government over shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- BJP presses for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned till Thursday (Third Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Embarrassment for government in Rajya Sabha - Dec 13, 2011
- US gurdwara shooting: DSGMC to compensate Delhi victims' kin - Aug 07, 2012
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- SC order against quotas in promotions rocks parliament (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Rift forces adjournment of PAC meeting - Oct 31, 2011
- Parliament adjourned for the day over coal saga (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Where is CWG probe report, asks opposition (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Parliament disrupted over 1984 killings, caste census, phone tapping (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Rollback FDI in retail to let parliament run: BJP - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, bajwa, bansal, bsp, central government, condolences, congress member, dara singh, devotees, Lok Sabha, lone gunman, milwaukee wisconsin, New Delhi, parliamentary affairs, pawan kumar, playing politics, punjab, ruckus, zero hour