Lok Sabha adjourned over Haryana land to Rajiv trustAugust 18th, 2011 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday raised the issue of land in Haryana being granted to the Rajiv Gandhi Charitable Trust, forcing adjournment of the Lok Sabha.
BJP’s Rajnath Singh took up the issue as soon as the house met at 11 a.m. and demanded suspension of the question hour for a discussion on it.
Speaker Meira Kumar pleaded before protesting BJP members to let the house function and hold a discussion on the “extremely burning issue related to farmers” at the start of zero hour.
Rajnath Singh said the Haryana debate should get preference.
Meira Kumar went ahead and called for question hour, even taking a couple of questions. But the BJP would have none of it, and members walked down the aisle towards the speaker’s podium, shouting slogans.
They demanded that the land land allotment to the trust should be cancelled and “harassment of farmers” stopped.
However, the speaker ignored the protests and carried on with the question hour. Sensing this, the slogans by BJP MPs got louder, drowning out Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi, who was replying to a question.
Amid the din, Parliamentary Affairs Minister P.K. Bansal said the matter was a state subject and related to the Haryana government. But this also didn’t help to convince the protesting members allow the house to function.
The speaker then adjourned the proceedings till noon. When the house met again at 12, the BJP protested again forcing another adjournment till 2 p.m.
The BJP has been alleging that the land belonging to farmers in Gurgaon’s Ullawas village was “unlawfully” taken away and transferred the trust named after the former prime minister late Rajiv Gandhi.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court earlier this month pulled up the Congress government in Haryana for flouting land laws in order to aid the the trust.
According to the website of Rajiv Gandhi Charitable Trust, it was established in 2002 by Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Vadra “to address areas of concern that were closest to Rajiv Gandhi’s heart”.
- Congress hits back on Gurgaon land issue (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Coal 'scam' disrupts parliament (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned twice over land to Gandhi trust - Aug 03, 2011
- Unruly scenes force Lok Sabha adjournment - Dec 21, 2011
- Farmers' deaths force parliament's adjournment till Tuesday (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2010
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Congress MPs add to Telangana chorus, Lok Sabha disrupted (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2011
- Gujarat Lokayukta rocks parliament for third day - Sep 05, 2011
- Farmer deaths: Parliament adjourned till Tuesday - Aug 16, 2010
- After Chidambaram, opposition now guns for Krishna - Dec 09, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned over farmer deaths (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Aug 16, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned over farmer deaths - Aug 16, 2010
- Telangana issue stalls parliament as MPs unite (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, bansal, bharatiya janata party, bjp, charitable trust, congress government, former prime minister, haryana government, land allotment, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, parliamentary affairs, punjab and haryana high court, rahul gandhi, railway minister, rajiv gandhi, rajnath singh, sonia gandhi, state subject, trivedi