Lok Sabha adjourned as Chidambaram denies corruption charge (Lead)May 10th, 2012 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the second time Thursday as Home Minister P. Chidambaram denied the involvement of either him or of any member of his family in a telecom deal when he was finance minister even as the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) continued to disrupt the house, demanding action against him.
“I categorically deny that neither me, nor any member of my family has acquired shares in either Aircel or Maxis,” Chidambaram told the Lok Sabha amid protests from BJP members.
BJP leader Yashwant Sinha had earlier raised the point following which his party colleagues and members of Left parties disrupted the house proceedings demanding action against Chidambaram.
This made Leader of the House and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee lose his cool and he said the opposition should not raise the issue again and again.
Both houses of parliament were disrupted May 8 after a news report alleged that Chidambaram had delayed permission for the sale of Aircel to Malaysia-based Maxis in 2006 when he was finance minister so that his son, Karthi, was financially benefited. The government had then denied the report as baseless.
The finance minister was about to respond but sat down when opposition members did not hear his appeal to calm down and continued to raise slogans. Even Congress president Sonia Gandhi tried to pacify an angry Mukherjee.
Sensing the mood of the house, Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house till 2 p.m.
Later P.C. Chacko, who was in the chair, adjourned the house till 4 p.m.
Earlier also the house witnessed unruly scenes after BJP members raised the issue of alleged misbehaviour and assault on party MP from Andaman and Nicobar islands Bishnu Pada Ray by a certain home ministry official.
Speaker Meira Kumar said she has received a notice for breach of privilege against an official of the home ministry from Ray and would take a decision after receiving a report from the ministry.
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned after opposition angers Pranab - May 10, 2012
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal - May 08, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Chidambaram invokes Jesus to deny corruption charges (Third Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Chidambaram invokes Jesus to deny corruption charges (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Now opposition guns for Chidambaram, Lok Sabha disrupted - Apr 27, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Fourth Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Government says no wrongdoing in clearing Aircel-Maxis deal (Second Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Aircel-Maxis deal: Government denies wrongdoing (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned, BJP cries foul - May 22, 2012
- Chidambaram's statement fails to convince BJP - May 10, 2012
- BJP says Chidambaram's clarification violates rules - May 11, 2012
- BJP says Chidambaram's clarification violates rules (Lead) - May 11, 2012
Tags: aircel, andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, chacko, congress president sonia gandhi, finance minister, home minister, home ministry, house speaker, houses of parliament, left parties, Lok Sabha, maxis, meira kumar, ministry official, misbehaviour, opposition members, party colleagues, pranab mukherjee, telecom deal