Lok Sabha adjourned after opposition angers PranabMay 10th, 2012 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was adjourned Thursday as Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee lost his cool when Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members disrupted the house and asked for action against Home Minister P. Chidambaram for allegedly helping his son get financial benefits from a telecom deal.
Mukherjee said the opposition should not raise the same issue again and again.
Both houses of parliament were disrupted May 8 after a news report alleged Chidambaram’s role in the telecom deal in 2006 when he was the finance minister.
Mukherjee was about to respond but quickly sat down when the opposition members did not hear his appeal to calm down and continued to raise slogans in the house.
Even Congress president Sonia Gandhi tried to pacify an angry Mukherjee.
Sensing his mood, Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house till 2 p.m.
Earlier, the house also witnessed unruly scenes after BJP members raised the issue of alleged misbehaviour by a home ministry official and his assault on Bishnu Pada Ray, the party MP from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Speaker Meira Kumar said she has received a notice for a breach of privilege motion against an official of the home ministry from Ray and would take a decision after receiving a report from the ministry.
- Lok Sabha adjourned as Chidambaram denies corruption charge (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal - May 08, 2012
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- BJP says Chidambaram's clarification violates rules - May 11, 2012
- BJP says Chidambaram's clarification violates rules (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Chidambaram invokes Jesus to deny corruption charges (Third Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Chidambaram invokes Jesus to deny corruption charges (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Mukherjee has right to admonish: Lalu - May 13, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- After Chidambaram, opposition now guns for Krishna - Dec 09, 2011
- Now opposition guns for Chidambaram, Lok Sabha disrupted - Apr 27, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over 1984 killings, caste census, phone tapping (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Chidambaram in eye of parliament storm, houses adjourned - Nov 22, 2011
- MP alleges harassment by PM's security, Pranab apologises (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011