Lok Adalat asked to settle compensation for killed fishermenApril 20th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, April 20 (IANS) A vacation bench of the Kerala High Court Friday referred the compensation claim, filed by families of the two Indian fishermen killed by two Italian Marines in February, to the Lok Adalat.
The court did this after Italian authorities and the two fishermen’s families agreed to reach an out-of-court settlement.
The case will now come up before the Lok Adalat here on Tuesday.
Two fishermen, Ajesh Binki, 25, and Gelastine, 45, were apparently mistaken as pirates and shot dead by Marines aboard a cargo vessel Feb 15, off Alappuzha.
The marines, Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone, were picked up from the vessel and sent to jail Feb 20 on murder charges by a court in Kollam. They are now lodged in the central prison in Thiruvananthapuram.
Gelastine’s wife and children and the sisters of the other victim had filed a petition in the high court, demanding a compensation of Rs.1 crore each.
- Fishermen paid damages, but Italian Marines face trial (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Italians pay Rs.1.7mn in damages, boat owner drops case - Apr 27, 2012
- Fishermen case withdrawal: Achuthanandan alleges conspiracy - Apr 28, 2012
- Now, Italian priests visit home of slain Kerala fisherman - Apr 05, 2012
- Boat owner ready to let Italian ship sail for Rs.1.7 mn - Apr 26, 2012
- Italian marines get bail - May 30, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Special team of Kerala cops to probe shooting row - Feb 21, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Italian marines get bail (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
- Kerala court dismisses pleas of Italian Marines - May 29, 2012
- Italian ship will have to wait till forensic report: Kerala - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: bench, binki, cargo vessel, central prison, compensation claim, court settlement, girone, indian fishermen, italian authorities, kerala high court, kollam, lok adalat, marines, murder charges, petition, pirates, rs 1, salvatore, thiruvananthapuram, two fishermen