Lohri celebrated with fervour in DelhiJanuary 13th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) Despite biting cold, hundreds of Delhi residents Tuesday night came out of their houses and sat around bonfires lit in various parts of the capital to celebrate Lohri, the festival which marks the harvesting time in the fields of the country. People danced to the beats of dhols with favourite Punjabi Bollywood number played in the background. Traditionally, Lohri is celebrated on a grand scale by families that have a newlywed couple or a newborn child.
“The fire is lit and everyone goes around it offering til (sesame seeds), gud (jaggery) and ground nuts to the fire praying for prosperity and peace throughout the year,” said Satwant Kaur, a resident of Rajouri Garden in west Delhi.
The festival is known for increasing brotherhood and nurturing good relationship among neighbours as people of a neighbourhood come together at one place to celebrate it.
“We invite all our neighbours, irrespective of whether they are Punjabis or non-Punjabis, and it gives us an opportunity to know them better,” said Manjeet Singh, who is celebrating first Lohri of his newly born grandson.
People eat rewadi, a preparation made of sesame seeds and jaggery, ground nuts and popcorn to keep themselves warm in the cold winter.
Farmers in Punjab celebrate Lohri because by this time in January, their fields are ready with Rabi crops. It also marks the beginning of new month according to the Hindu calender.
- Lohri celebrated in Delhi with drum beats and bonfires - Jan 13, 2010
- Feasting times: A hearty Punjabi spread this Lohri (With Recipes) - Jan 12, 2012
- With bonfires and bonhomie, Delhi set to celebrate Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Lohri with bonfires and drumbeats (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Bonfires, celebrations mark Lohri across north India - Jan 14, 2012
- Desi sweets on B-Town's mind for Lohri - Jan 13, 2012
- Bollywood wishes Happy Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Bollywood's very own Jats' 'Yamla Pagla Deewana' add to Lohri magic - Jan 14, 2011
- Chandigarh dedicates Lohri celebrations to girl child - Jan 12, 2009
- India celebrates harvest festival in diverse forms (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana celebrate Baisakhi with fervour - Apr 15, 2011
- Devotees take holy dip to mark 'Makar Sankranti' - Jan 15, 2011
- Colourful Sankranti celebrations in Andhra - Jan 15, 2012
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012