Locals clash with police over youth’s deathNovember 15th, 2011 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 15 (IANS) A mob fought pitched battles with the police and indulged in arson and vandalism in Uttar Pradesh’s Mathura district Tuesday after a youth was mowed down by a truck, police said.
Arun Kumar, aged around 25, was crushed by a speeding truck near the Goverdhan crossing.
“Demanding arrest of the erring driver, locals in large numbers indulged in heavy brick batting, torched the truck and damaged several private vehicles,” Superintendent of Police (City) Ram Kishore told reporters in Mathura, some 300 km from Lucknow.
“Protesters pelted stones at the police and firefighters while they were trying to disperse the mob. The situation is tense, but under control,” he added.
Police are yet to arrest the driver of the truck, who managed to escape soon after the accident.
- Azamgarh tense after student's death in accident - Nov 04, 2011
- Mob clashes with police over teen's death - Nov 12, 2011
- Death of school boy sparks violence, 10 injured - Oct 14, 2010
- Locals clash with police over death of worker - May 05, 2011
- Police post torched during protest - Nov 02, 2011
- Clash in Uttar Pradesh city after woman's death - Mar 26, 2011
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- 10 policemen injured in Uttar Pradesh mob attack - Sep 14, 2010
- Angry mob vandalises police post in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 28, 2010
- Truck crushes three of family, mob attacks police - Aug 30, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh town after schoolboy's death - Aug 10, 2010
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh after youth's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh town after minor's death - May 22, 2011
- Road accident sparks violence in Uttar Pradesh town - Sep 27, 2010
- Truck runs over girl, mobs go on rampage - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: arson, arun kumar, brick, clash with police, firefighters, kishore, large numbers, locals, mathura district, mob, pitched battles, private vehicles, protesters, superintendent, truck police, uttar pradesh, vandalism