Loan-burdened businessman dies after killing wife, sonNovember 20th, 2008 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 20 (IANS) Unable to repay his debt, a 48-year-old businessman here, who poisoned his wife and son before attempting suicide, died at a hospital Thursday, the police said.Swapan Banerjee, a resident of Bijoygarh in the southern suburbs, had been admitted in a critical condition at a state-run hospital here Tuesday after killing his wife Urmi and 13-year-old son Rajrup Tuesday, district police chief Ajay Ranade told reporters.
Banerjee had taken a loan of about Rs.3 million from quite a few people for investing in his business.
Ranade said letters found in the house indicated he had taken a lot of loans he was unable to repay. “They owed money to a lot of people,” the police officer said.
On Tuesday, neighbours in the locality entered the house after hearing groans and found Banerjee writhing in pain, while his wife and son lay dead.
“The family was seemingly upset over the last few days, and confessed that they were overburdened with loan,” a neighbour said.
- Indebted businessman poisons wife and son, attempts suicide - Nov 19, 2008
- Lawyer kills daughter, commits suicide - Jun 02, 2010
- 70-year-old man under debt jumps to death - Jan 25, 2011
- A month on, AMRI victims' kin still fighting for justice - Jan 08, 2012
- Mamata blames Left Front for 'brutal' land laws - Mar 12, 2012
- Man arrested for murdering woman, granddaughter - Apr 10, 2011
- Man strangulates son to implicate friends - Feb 15, 2011
- Debt-ridden man kills wife, four daughters; attempts suicide - Jan 22, 2010
- Debt-ridden family of three commits suicide - Dec 20, 2009
- Mumbai's top snake-man falls to cobra attack - Oct 25, 2009
- Malaysian man killed for filming neighbour having sex with wife - Apr 21, 2011
- Husband, wife commit suicide - Jan 25, 2012
- Man accused of rape shot dead - Feb 22, 2011
- Youth's hands chopped off, Nitish orders probe (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Man held for killing DTC driver for Rs.300 - Oct 08, 2011