Liverpool striker Suarez banned for 8 gamesDecember 21st, 2011 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 21 (IANS) Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was banned for eight games after a Football Association (FA) disciplinary hearing found him guilty of racism for abusing Manchester United’s Patrice Evra during an English Premier League match Oct 15.
The Uruguayan forward was also fined 40,000 pounds by the FA Tuesday over the incident.
Liverpool and Suarez have 14 days to decide whether to appeal against the ban, Xinhua reported.
In a statement, the FA said: “An Independent Regulatory Commission has today found a charge of misconduct against Luis Suarez proven, and have issued a suspension for a period of eight matches as well as fining him 40,000 pounds, pending appeal.”
“I was very upset,” Evra said. “In 2011 you can’t say things like this. He knows what he said, the ref knows it, it will come out.
“I won’t repeat what he said, but it was a racist word, and he said it more than ten times. He tried to wind me up. I won’t make a huge deal out of it, but it is very upsetting and disappointing.”
The commission’s ruling stated: “Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);
“The insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);
“Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches.
“The (penalty) is suspended pending the outcome of any appeal lodged by Mr Suarez against this decision.”
Suarez always denied the charge and Liverpool were firm in support of their player, with manager Kenny Dalglish saying last week: “We are standing right beside him and helping him as much as we possibly can.”
- Luis Suarez charged by FA for racial abuse - Nov 17, 2011
- Under fire, Suarez gets support from Uruguayan president - Feb 17, 2012
- Suarez slapped with fine and ban for obscene gesture - Dec 29, 2011
- PSG eyeing Liverpool's Suarez - Feb 16, 2012
- Alan Hansen apologizes for his Luis Suarez's gaffe - Dec 22, 2011
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011
- Liverpool close to inking 18 m pound deal with Suarez - Jan 20, 2011
- Police probe racial gesture by Liverpool fan - Jan 29, 2012
- Footballers' association demands Blatter's resignation on racism comments - Nov 17, 2011
- Chelsea says no to Terry T-shirts - Dec 26, 2011
- Young Aston Villa mascot mimics Suarez snub - Feb 14, 2012
- Liverpool to sign Uruguayan striker Suarez for 23 million pounds - Jan 29, 2011
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012
- Liverpool goalkeeper involved in racism row - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: contrary, disciplinary hearing, eight games, english premier league, football association, games london, insulting words, kenny dalglish, liverpool, luis suarez, manchester united, match, patrice evra, racism, regulatory commission, striker, uruguayan, xinhua