Liu Xiang, Robles set for Birmingham showdownFebruary 10th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 10 (IANS) Reigning Olympic champion and world record holder Dayron Robles will go head-to-head with reigning world indoor champion Liu Xiang of China in a blockbuster 60-metre hurdles race at the Aviva Grand Prix Feb 18.
It will be the pair’s first meeting since the 2011 World Championships in Daegu where Liu took silver after Robles was dramatically disqualified for disrupting Liu despite finishing the race in first place.
The pair, who between them have amassed a staggering 11 major event titles and are considered the all-time greats of sprint hurdles, will join an all-star cast including Asafa Powell, Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah in what is expected to be a colossal afternoon at Birmingham’s National Indoor Arena.
It will also be Liu’s first competition in the NIA since he won bronze in the world indoor championships in 2003 at the age of 19, Xinhua reports.
Robles, who set the world record of 12.87 seconds in Ostrava in 2008, won five times in his 12 previous races against Liu. But the 25-year-old Cuban is determined to level the record by the end of March as he will race alongside Liu first in Birmingham and then in Istanbul, where he hopes to usurp the latter as the world indoor champion.
“I feel in really good shape. I haven’t competed this year yet so I’m looking forward to getting back on the track,” said Robles.
“I will have probably had one race before the Aviva Grand Prix which will give me more of an idea on my form but Birmingham is due to have a good field so it’ll be good for me.”
- Chinese hurdler Liu hints London Games his last - Feb 18, 2012
- Liu Xiang equals men's 110m hurdles world record - Jun 03, 2012
- Liu Xiang leads China's medal charge in London - Jul 09, 2012
- Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meet - May 06, 2012
- Grenadian James makes stunning pro debut at Diamond League - Aug 06, 2011
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt hurdles to 110m gold for US - Aug 09, 2012
- Cuban hurdler Robles wants nothing but gold at London - Feb 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt a deserving 110m hurdles champion (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Blake, James win Zurich Diamond League - Sep 09, 2011
- Fraser-Pryce sends warning, Blake sizzles in New York - Jun 10, 2012
- Bolt answers critics with world-leading time - Jun 01, 2012
- Robles to train in Spain ahead of Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: asafa powell, aviva, blockbuster, daegu, farah, first meeting, good shape, grand prix, indoor champion, jessica ennis, liu xiang, london feb, metre hurdles, national indoor arena, olympic champion, ostrava, time greats, world championships, world record holder, xinhua