Little known Iranian shocks Talukdar in Archery World CupJune 9th, 2011 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 9 (IANS) Unheralded Iranian Majid Mirrahimi shocked India’s Jayanta Talukdar 6-5 in the first round of individual elimination in the World Cup (Stage II) archery competitions at Antalya, in Turkey.
The 15th ranked Indian squandered a 4-0 lead to lose in the tie-break after the two tied at five points each. In a one-arrow tie-break, the Iranian hit a 10 and the Indian shot a nine, according to information received here.
Talukdar was in comfortable lead taking the first two sets 29-24, 29-25 to open up a 4-0 gap. He, however, lost the next set at 27-28. The Iranian, ranked 98th, then managed to draw the next set 27-27 to reduce the lead to 3-5. In the final set, Talukdar made grave errors to concede it 23-29 and allowed the contest to drift into tie-breaker.
Two other Indian archers, Rahul Banerjee and Tarundeep Rai, also fell early.
Now Deepika Kumari and Laisharam Bombayla Devi in the women’s section and Thupuvoyi Swuro in the men’s are the only ones in the fray to keep the Indian challenge going in the individual competition.
Banerjee, ranked 31st, beat 82nd ranked Goktug Ergin of Turkey in the first round at 6-5, but fell to 79th placed Alexey Belov of Russia 3-7 in the next battle. Rai, ranked 54th after the qualification round, won his opening round against 59th ranked Piotr Nowak of Poland 6-0 before bowing out 2-6 to reigning Olympic champion Viktor Ruban of Ukraine, ranked 11th.
Thupuvoyi will be up against a tough opponent in fourth seed Brady Ellison of the US in the third round. The Naga archer won against 84th placed Lars Eggestig of Sweden 7-1 and 36th ranked Yagiz Yilmaz of Turkey 6-0.
Sixth seed Deepikia earned a bye into the round of 32. She will play 29th ranked Lisa Unruh of Germany. Bombayla won through two rounds to play 43rd ranked Bishindee Urangungalag of Mongolia for a place in the pre-quarterfinals. The Railways archer won against 102nd ranked Arezoo Heydari of Iran 7-1 and 54th ranked Iranian Fateme Farashi 6-0.
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
- Archery World Cup Stage II: Deepika Kumari lifts Indian team to 2nd place - Jun 08, 2011
- Talukdar earns India one Olympic place in archery - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- Archer Tarundeep Rai to vie for World Cup bronze - Jun 21, 2012
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- Olympic archery: Indian men crash out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Dismal show by Indian recurve archers - May 05, 2011
- Olympic archery: Indian men bow out after tense finish (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- India win triple gold in Asian Grand Prix archery (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Asian Games archery: Deepika loses bronze play-off (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: archery competitions, archery world, banerjee, belov, ergin, five points, grave errors, heydari, indian challenge, kumari, majid, olympic champion, piotr nowak, quarterfinals, ruban, sixth seed, tie break, tie breaker, unruh, yilmaz