List of air crashes in residential areasMay 26th, 2011 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) A single-engine aircraft crashed into a residential area of Faridabad, a suburb of the national capital, Wednesday night, killing at least 10 people, including three on the ground.
Here is a list of instances when an aircraft has crashed into residential areas in India and elsewhere in the world:
1. Nov 12, 2001 - American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A300, crashed into a neighbourhood in Queens, a borough of New York, shortly after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport. With 260 fatalities on board and five on the ground, this is the third highest toll for any accident involving an Airbus A300.
2. Oct 4, 1992 - A Boeing 747 cargo plane of the Israeli airline El Al, crashed into an 11-floor apartment block in the Bijlmermeer neighbourhood of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. At least 48 people were killed, including three crew, one passenger and 39 apartment residents.
3. June 2, 2009 - A Hercules C-130 plane of the Indonesian Air Force crashed in Jakarta, killing a total of 98 passengers and 14 crew on board and two people on the ground. It came down on a residential area on the island of East Java.
4. Nov 28, 2010 - At least 12 people were killed when a Russian-made cargo plane crashed seconds after taking off from Karachi. Ilyushin IL-76 operated by Georgian airline Sunway slammed into buildings soon after refuelling and take-off from the airport in Pakistan’s business capital.
5. July 17, 2000 - More than 60 people were killed in an Alliance Air Boeing-737 plane crash at Patna airport. Seven passengers had a miraculous escape. The flight started from Kolkata to Delhi via Patna but suddenly lost height and grazed a tree before ploughing into a row of government residential complex and bursting into flames.
6. April 4, 2003 - Five people, including three women and a child on the ground, were killed after a MiG-23 fighter of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in a residential area near Ludhiana in Punjab.
7. Nov 5, 2002 - Five people died after a Jaguar fighter of the IAF crashed into a residential area of Ambala city in Haryana.
- Large cargo plane crashes in Karachi, killing at least 10 - Nov 28, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Cargo Airplane Crashes Adjacent To Karachi Airport - Nov 30, 2010
- Fighter jet crashes in southern Iran, killing 2 - Jan 27, 2012
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Boeing 707 crashes near United Arab Emirates airport - Oct 21, 2009
- 16 die in Russian plane crash - Apr 02, 2012
- Pakistan grounds all private jets for checks - Apr 24, 2012
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- 118 killed in Pakistan plane crash (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Gilani orders plane crash probe, official hints at blunder (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2012
- Gulf Air passenger plane skids off runway in southwest India - Aug 29, 2011
- Passenger plane crashes near Pakistani capital of Islamabad, many killed (Updated) - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 737 plane, air crashes, airbus a300, airlines flight 587, alliance air boeing, american airlines, american airlines flight, american airlines flight 587, apartment block, apartment residents, boeing 737, boeing 747, c 130 plane, hercules c, indian air force, indonesian air force, israeli airline, john f kennedy international airport, kennedy international airport, patna airport