Lightning kills 10 in Howrah (Lead)April 29th, 2012 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
Howrah, April 29 (IANS) At least 10 people were killed and 10 others seriously injured Sunday when they were struck by lightning in a village in West Bengal’s Howrah district.
“While nine persons died at the spot one person died at a hospital. Ten others who are injured have been admitted to nearby hospitals,” said local Trinamool Congress lawmaker Samir Panja. Police had initially put the toll at six.
The people in Pancharul village were returning home after an idol immersion ceremony and had taken refuge in a temple in the rain when they were struck by the bolt.
Chief minister Mamata Banerjee has announced a compensation of Rs.2 lakh each to the families of the deceased.
The condition of some of the injured was said to be serious.
- Lightning kills 6 in Howrah district - Apr 29, 2012
- Lightning kills 10 in Bangladesh - Aug 11, 2012
- Lightning strikes tourists on China mountain - Nov 07, 2011
- Lightning kills two in Lucknow - Jul 05, 2012
- Two die after lightning strikes US home - Jul 20, 2012
- Lightning kills 14 in Bihar villages - Jul 12, 2012
- 16 drowned in Ganesh immersions across Andhra Pradesh - Sep 20, 2010
- Bengal to focus on ayurveda - Jul 12, 2011
- Eight students among 12 killed in Haryana road accident - Apr 28, 2011
- Lightning kills seven in Maharashtra - Jun 27, 2010
- Woman killed as lightning strikes UP village - Aug 31, 2012
- Seven killed in Bangladesh lightning strikes - May 27, 2011
- Mamata demands compensation for bus-trailer accident victims - Dec 14, 2009
- Three dead as Doon Express derails, Mamata hints at sabotage (Third Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Three killed in Tripura cyclone - May 03, 2012