Light boys in Chennai film industry go on strikeAugust 13th, 2008 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 13 (IANS) The light boys in the Chennai film industry have gone on an indefinite strike, demanding a shorter working day. A spokesman of the union representing light boys said unless the normal eight-hour call-sheet was reduced to six, they would continue with the strike.
Film Employees’ Federation of South India (FEFSI) and the Tamil Film Producers’ Council (TFPC) however say all the demands of the technicians had been met and they got a 40 percent pay hike in January.
TFPC slammed the strike notice by terming it “unfair and unheard in workers’ history of struggle.”
“Nowhere in India or the world has anyone heard of a six-hour shift with a fat pay,” a FEFSI statement said.
The strike has blocked the shooting of 60 films and is thus blocking up Rs.2.5 in the industry that is reeling under losses anyway.
S. Vijayan, president of FEFSI, has threaten to disaffiliate the light boys association if they don’t call off the strike.
A union member said: “Those who talk about labour laws should know that no producer minds paying fat cheques to stars, but complains when asked to pay more to the workers who don’t sit even for a moment on a set.”
- Light men's strike in Tamil Nadu fails - Aug 16, 2008
- Comstar Automotive workers' strike continues for 28th day - Sep 07, 2011
- Comstar Automotive workers resume duty after 54-day strike - Oct 04, 2011
- Comstar Automotive strike enters 44th day - Sep 23, 2011
- Singareni's striking miners offered double wages - Sep 24, 2011
- Strike at Neyveli Lignite enters - Oct 11, 2010
- Jayalalithaa supports striking Neyveli Lignite workers - Oct 12, 2010
- Striking Comstar Automotive workers plan fast - Aug 19, 2011
- Genelia Attends Colombo IIFA - Her Films To Be Banned - Jun 05, 2010
- Raja returns to Chennai, says he cooperated with CBI - Dec 28, 2010
- Strike not to affect power generation at Neyveli Lignite - Sep 22, 2010
- Hyundai workers want union recognition decided on ballot - May 16, 2011
- Heroine far from being hero in Bollywood: Kareena - Mar 16, 2012
- Labour trouble brewing in Ford India - Mar 23, 2011
- Hold talks with liquor shop employees, urges Jayalalithaa - Aug 09, 2010