Lifting missing fingerprints from human skinMay 3rd, 2008 - 4:32 pm ICT by admin
Washington, May 3 (IANS) In the battle against crime, forensic experts have enlisted a tool that would lift missing fingerprints from the human skin and help nab the killer! The portable system, being developed by ChemImage and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), would enable investigators at crime scenes to detect latent prints on the human skin, ScienceDaily reported.
The system relies on surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS)-based agents to visualise latent prints. A team led by Linda Lewis of ORNL is working to identify fingerprint components that are SERS active.
The ORNL team has identified a novel silver coated nanowire as the SERS agent of choice. This material was developed at Naval Research Laboratory (NRL).
The ORNL team is now assisting NRL with developing a method for producing highly active silver-coated nanowires to support a method of chemically imaging latent fingerprints.
- New coating process reveals hard-to-develop fingerprints - May 12, 2010
- Tiny micro-needles hold great promise for fighting chronic diseases - Jun 26, 2010
- Now, laser beams to track killers fingerprints - May 12, 2008
- Silver and gold nanowires to improve touch screens - May 25, 2010
- Bacteria-killing paper for next-generation food packaging - Feb 20, 2011
- Copper nanowires could pave way for foldable iPad - Jun 02, 2010
- Tech to track perpetrators of biochemical attacks - Dec 27, 2011
- Raman effect makes cancer detection possible - Apr 21, 2011
- Scot scientists pull fingerprints from fabrics - Jan 31, 2011
- Terahertz imaging - ultimate tool against terrorism - Apr 13, 2010
- New test can track nerve gas traces in terror attack - Mar 15, 2012
- Now, artificial skin made of nanowires - Sep 13, 2010
- Gold, silver nanostars may revolutionise disease diagnosis - Oct 16, 2008
- Rapid diagnostic test for common type of pneumonia developed - Dec 16, 2010
- New method that detects fingerprints containing condom lubricants - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,