Life term sought for Indian American couple in slavery caseApril 9th, 2008 - 7:20 pm ICT by admin
New York, April 9 (IANS) US prosecutors have recommended maximum sentence for the multi-millionaire Indian American couple convicted of “modern day slavery”, asking for between 30 years and life imprisonment for the main accused Varsha Sabhnani. For Varsha’s India-born husband Mahender, a perfume manufacturer and distributor, a prison term of 12-15 years is sought.
After a six-week trial, the Sabhnanis were convicted in December by a jury of forced labour, harbouring illegal immigrants and debt servitude in a case that involved the brutalising of two Indonesian women they had kept as domestic help in their home in Long Island.
The allegations against the couple included forcing the maids, identified only as Samirah and Enung, to work over 18 hours a day and beatings with brooms and umbrellas.
Varsha is scheduled to be sentenced May 30 and Mahender June 6.
The Sabhnanis’ attorneys consider the sentence too harsh and are expected to file their recommendation.
The case had received wide publicity in the US as well as abroad because prosecutors called it a rare instance of modern-day slavery.
- Indian American couple to pay $1 mn to maids in slavery case - Jul 12, 2008
- India-born US millionaire gets 11 years for abuse of Indonesian maids - Jun 27, 2008
- Indian American gets jail after wife's sentencing for slavery - Jun 28, 2008
- N.Y. millionaire gets 11 years in prison - Jun 27, 2008
- Indian American 'slavery' couple sued by maids - Jul 23, 2008
- Indian American woman gets 11 year jail for slavery - Jun 27, 2008
- Slavery case: NRI allowed to remain free on bail - May 20, 2008
- Slavery case: NRI to be probed for bail violation - May 17, 2008
- Arlington, TX couple sentenced to 20 years for enslaving Nigerian woman over 8 years - Jun 05, 2010
- UN General Assembly President Al-Nasser calls for end to 'modern-day slavery' - Mar 27, 2012
- Indian-American treats wife as slave; gets away with probation - May 24, 2012
- Indian American 'slave' couple: Wife jailed, husband remains on bail - Dec 21, 2007
- Indian American couple scalded Indonesian maid with hot water - Nov 14, 2007
- Enslaved Indonesian made sought help of a `witch doctor' - Nov 14, 2007
- Dharun Ravi not be deported to India: report - Jun 19, 2012