Libya’s First Lady owns airline company, 20 tonnes of gold: ReportMarch 8th, 2011 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, March 8 (IANS) Libya’s First Lady Safia Farkash al-Baraasi has amassed enormous wealth, including the airline company Buraq Air and 20 tonnes of gold, a media report said.
Although the First Lady has not been in the limelight unlike her Tunisian and Egyptian counterparts, she wields considerable influence, the Al Arabiya channel reported.
She operates the airline with the approval of her husband even though it rivals the Libyan national carrier.
Her wealth was estimated at $30 billion by the France-based group International Coalition against War Criminals (ICAWC), which revealed the figure during the Lockerbie crisis in 1992. Her husband Muammar Gaddafi’s wealth was estimated at $80 billion.
Safia Farkash al-Baraasi is the second wife of the Libyan leader. They came to know each other in 1971 when Gaddafi was admitted to a hospital where she worked as a nurse. They got married the same year and have six sons and one daughter, according to the broadcaster Sunday.
Libya has been rocked by anti-government protests since Feb 14 in which at least 6,000 people have died.
- Gaddafi's wife in talks to buy Croatian resort - Sep 08, 2011
- Gaddafi's $25 mn Italian hotel complex seized - May 17, 2012
- 1988 Lockerbie bomber al-Megrahi dies in Tripoli - May 20, 2012
- Order will be restored in Libya, says Tunisia - Oct 22, 2011
- Scottish police questions Libyan defector Moussa Koussa over Lockerbie bombing - Apr 08, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Seif al-Islam held: Report - Oct 21, 2011
- Libya's Brega town cleared of rebels - Mar 13, 2011
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- UK set to seize Gaddafi's billions in London - Feb 25, 2011
- Embattled Colonel Gaddafi has control over huge cash deposits: Experts - Mar 10, 2011
- Libyan Justice Minister Al-Jleil says Gaddafi ordered Lockerbie bombing - Feb 23, 2011
- Gaddafi wandered Tripoli streets in disguise - Aug 24, 2011
- Rebels refuse to talk to Gaddafi aide - Mar 08, 2011
- Blair met Gaddafi aide before Lockerbie bomber's release - Sep 25, 2011
- Libyan rebels search for Gaddafi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: airline company, al arabiya, broadcaster, counterparts, enormous wealth, feb 14, first lady, gold report, international coalition, libya, libyan leader, limelight, lockerbie, muammar gaddafi, national carrier, safia, second wife, tonnes, tunisian, war criminals