Libya’s envoy to India resigns in protestFebruary 21st, 2011 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 21 (IANS)Libya’s ambassador to India Ali al-Essawi has resigned to protest his government’s crackdown on demonstrators calling for the ouster of long-time Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, the BBC reported.The BBC, on its Arabic service website, said the Libyan envoy also accused his government of deploying foreign mercenaries against the protesters.
When contacted, the Libyan embassy in New Delhi declined to comment.
Meanwhile, a senior Libyan diplomat in China resigned Monday and called on his country’s army to intervene in the political unrest, Al-Jazeera said.
The diplomat, Hussein Sadiq al Musrati, resigned on air while talking to Al-Jazeera Arabic.
Musrati called on the Libyan army to intervene, and called all diplomatic staff to resign, Al-Jazeera said in a posting on its blog.
He claimed that a gunfight had taken place between Gaddafi’s sons and also claimed that Gaddafi may have left Libya. Al-Jazeera said it had no confirmation of these claims.
Intense protests are taking place against Gaddafi, who has ruled Libya uninterruptedly for the past 41 years.
Benghazi city has witnessed bloodshed.
Over 200 people had been killed over the past two days, a doctor in Benghazi city told Al-Jazeera television, after protests turned violent Friday.
- Libyan diplomat to China quits - Feb 21, 2011
- Libyan minister resigns over crackdown on protesters - Feb 21, 2011
- Arab world simmers; Gaddafi's son warns of rivers of blood (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Arab world simmers; Gaddafi's son warns of rivers of blood (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Libyan envoy to India quits over crackdown on demonstrators in his country - Feb 21, 2011
- Libyan diplomats in India stand up for revolution - Feb 26, 2011
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- Libyan protesters defiant, 500 feared dead (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Protests continue in Arab world, aircraft bomb Tripoli (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2011
- Libya bloodshed: Defiant Gaddafi says he is in Tripoli (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Arab world on boil, US imposes sanctions on Libya (Roundup) - Feb 26, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's daughter denies fleeing her country - Feb 25, 2011
- West bombs Libya, Gaddafi vows 'long drawn war' (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- Gaddafi says Libya could turn into 'another Vietnam' - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, arabic service, bloodshed, crackdown, demonstrators, diplomat, diplomatic staff, gunfight, india ali, jazeera television, libyan army, libyan embassy, libyan leader muammar, mercenaries, muammar gaddafi, New Delhi, ouster, political unrest, protesters, sadiq