Libya’s deposed leader Gaddafi captured: A profileOctober 20th, 2011 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Tripoli, Oct 20 (IANS) Libya’s deposed leader Muammar Gaddafi has been captured. Here is a brief profile:
Muammar Gaddafi was born to nomadic parents in the desert region of Sirte in 1942. He went to study history at the University of Libya in 1961 and then entered the Benghazi Military Academy.
After graduating in 1965, Gaddafi served in the Libyan army and he was sent to Britain Royal Military Academy Sandhurst for training in 1966, said Xinhua.
On Sep 1, 1969, the “Free Officers Movement”, a small group of military officers led by Gaddafi, staged a bloodless coup that toppled King Idris and established the Libyan Arab Republic.
From then on, Gaddafi became chairman of the Revolutionary Command Council and commander-in-chief of the armed forces of Libya.
He served as Libya’s prime minister and minister of defence from 1970 to 1972 and in 1977, he became the revolutionary leader and supreme commander of the armed forces.
Gaddafi relinquished all his administration positions in March 1979, only retaining the title of “Revolutionary Leader of Libya”.
Gaddafi was ousted in August after 42 years in power.
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Libyan website call for celebrating Gaddafi's birthday - Jun 07, 2012
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Gaddafi hiding in western border area: Rebels - Sep 28, 2011
- Libyan military slows rebel advance on 'Gaddafi power base' Sirte - Mar 08, 2011
- Libyan rebels search for Gaddafi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Gaddafi scavenged for food in his final days - Nov 08, 2011
- Sent to crush protesters, Gaddafi's son joins them - Feb 25, 2011
- Car bombing kills driver in Libya - Sep 02, 2012
- Coalition forces 'strike Gaddafi's home town' : Libyan state TV - Mar 27, 2011
- Moscow questions NATO attack on Gaddafi - Oct 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Saif captured - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: administration positions, bloodless coup, commander in chief, desert region, king idris, leader of libya, libyan arab republic, libyan army, military officers, minister of defence, muammar gaddafi, revolutionary command council, revolutionary leader, royal military academy, royal military academy sandhurst, sirte, small group, supreme commander, tripoli, xinhua