Leverkusen moves atop in BundesligaOctober 25th, 2008 - 1:43 pm ICT by IANS
Leverkusen (Germany), Oct 25 (DPA) Bayer Leverkusen has jumped to the top of the Bundesliga standings in German football with a 2-0 victory over local rivals Cologne.A pair of second-half goals secured the outcome Friday night to put Leverkusen on 18 points to start the Bundesliga’s ninth round of games, which continue Saturday and Sunday.
Leverkusen leapfrogged over SV Hamburg on 17 points and Hoffenheim at 16.
After a scoreless first half, Leverkusen’s Manuel Friedrich found the net in the 68th minute, and Teofanis Gekas sealed the victory with a penalty shot in the 84th minute.
For Cologne, the loss snapped a three-match winning streak. Cologne coach Christoph Daum, the former Leverkusen boss, was forced to leave the pitch with no points on his 55th birthday, against his former club, no less.
Cologne remains in a five-way tie for fifth place at 13 points but could find itself pushed into the bottom half of the table if traditional Bundesliga powers Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich, languishing in a tie for 10th place on 12 points, both win on Sunday.
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Mertesacker saves Bremen as Hamburg and Schalke stumble - Nov 29, 2009
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- Bremen defender Naldo to miss Leverkusen clash - Jan 26, 2012
- Three-goal Leverkusen go top; more woe for Wolfsburg - Jan 25, 2010
- Bundesliga leaders Leverkusen crush Frankfurt 4-0 - Nov 07, 2009
- Monchengladbach beat Cologne in Bundesliga - Apr 16, 2012