Let Sangma read the constitution: Bengal Congress chiefJune 24th, 2012 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 24 (IANS) Urging the Trinamool Congress to support United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, the West Bengal Pradesh Congress chief Sunday rebuked his rival P.A. Sangma for demanding a debate with Mukherjee.
“He has reportedly demanded a debate (with Pranab Mukherjee). Is he not aware of the constitution of India and the dos and don’ts of a president? He should first read it to develop better understanding of the post,” state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
Sangma earlier sought a debate with Mukherjee saying the Indian economy was in a bad shape. “Democracy means debate… I am asking for a debate,” Sangma said.
“He (Sangma) is not getting proper support, so he is trying to hog the limelight by using these tricks,” Bhattacharya said.
The Rajya Sabha MP and veteran Congress leader said that he hoped the former Lok Sabha speaker would not get any support from political parties in Bengal.
“I hope Sangma will not get any support from any of the political parties from Bengal. I once again appeal to all the parties in the state, including the Trinamool Congress and other Left parties, to support Pranab ‘da’s’ candidature,” Bhattacharya said.
Trinamool, the second largest constituent of the UPA, is yet to announce its stand on the presidential choice after its preferred candidate, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, declined to contest.
However, Trinamool chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has so far firmly opposed Mukherjee’s candidature for president’s post.
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pranab yet again appeals to Trinamool - Jun 24, 2012
- No regrets on not becoming PM, says Pranab - Jun 29, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- Mitra meets Pranab, says discussions incomplete - Jun 11, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab will win, says Chidambaram; Sibal meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Congress rejects Sangma appeal for debate with Mukherjee (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pranab is a friend of Communists: Trinamool - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bad shape, bhattacharya, congress chief, congress leader, congress president, constitution of india, indian economy, left parties, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, pradip, pranab mukherjee, preferred candidate, presidential choice, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, state congress, trinamool congress, west bengal