LeT now targets local youths with passports: PoliceMarch 2nd, 2012 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 1 (IANS) Changing its strategy, the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) guerrilla outfit has been trying to engage local boys, holding passports, after its foreign cadres started coming under pressure from the security forces, a senior police official said here Thursday.
“After things started becoming hot for the foreign cadres of the LeT in the state, the outfit’s changed strategy has been to involve local boys, especially those having passports, to continue its subversive activities,” Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, S.M. Sahai said here.
Sahai said the arrest of the three people identified as Ahtisham Malik, Tauseef Ahmad Peer and Shafqat Ahmad, all belonging to north Kashmir’s Sopore town, by Delhi Police was the result of coordinated pooling of intelligence by police of Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand and Delhi.
“One of the three arrested persons, Ahtisham Malik, had been on the radar of the Jammu and Kashmir Police for quite sometime,” he said.
“He had gone to Pakistan and ever since he was on our radar. We were keeping a close watch on his activities and his arrest along with two other persons has been a result of coordinated efforts of J&K; police, Jharkhand Police and the Delhi Police,” said Sahai.
Sahai, however, said that the latest module unearthed through the arrest of the three persons was not a large one.
“It is a small module and it is only a very few number of the local youths who are being lured by the LeT now,” he said.
Sopore’s Superintendent of Police Syed Imtiyaz Hussain told IANS that Malik was earlier also involved in militant activities in the area.
“He was under our constant surveillance. His arrest along with that of other three people has been possible because of sharing of information and alerts sent to Jharkhand and Delhi by us.”
- Jharkhand terror suspect taken to Delhi (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Geelani under scanner for alleged Lashkar links - Mar 02, 2012
- LeT recruitment module busted in Kashmir - Jul 04, 2012
- Charge sheet filed in Delhi against four terrorists - Sep 10, 2012
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Second Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Top Lashkar militant, involved in cleric's murder, gunned down - Sep 13, 2011
- LeT module busted in Delhi, Chidambaram pushes for NCTC (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Srinagar murder case solved: Police - Jun 10, 2011
- Kashmir police busts Lashkar module - Jan 05, 2012
- Lashkar militants gun down two sisters in Sopore - Feb 01, 2011
- Guerrilla module busted in Srinagar - Aug 22, 2012
- Court extends remand of Sopore woman student - Jul 20, 2011
- Three arrested for Maulana Showkat killing (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Kashmir stone pelters, separatists have nexus with LeT: Police - Nov 27, 2010
- LeT car-bomber module busted in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: ahmad, cadres, close watch, delhi police, guerrilla, hussain, jammu and kashmir, jharkhand, kashmir, lashkar e taiba, local boys, malik, north kashmir, passports, police official, sahai, shafqat, subversive activities, tauseef, three persons