Let home ministry first decide on Qattrocchi extradition: KrishnaJanuary 7th, 2011 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Friday said his ministry was ready to process a request for extradition of Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi after the home ministry decides on the issue.
“The issue of extradition is a decision which is taken by the concerned ministry. Only when a request is made after a decision is arrived at by the (home) ministry, it is routed through the ministry of external affairs for extradition,” Krishna told reporters when asked about the government’s stand on a fresh extradition plea for extraditing Quattrocchi, one of the alleged recipients of bribes from Sweden’s Bofors company.
“So, as and when things happen, we are willing to process it,” he said.
A local court Thursday had upheld the CBI plea that the tax notice served on Quattrocchi was not linked with the criminal aspect of the Bofors kickbacks scam.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Vinod Yadav had dismissed an application asking the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the central government to state whether there was any change in their stand seeking closure of criminal cases against Quattrocchi.
The ruling came three days after the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal ruled that Quattrocchi and his Indian partner Win Chadha did take commissions of over Rs.412 million in the 1986 Bofors gun deal.
- Court upholds CBI plea in Bofors case (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Bofors deal: Decision on dropping Quattrocchi cases Feb 21 - Feb 10, 2011
- Court upholds CBI plea in Bofors case (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Chronology of Bofors scandal - Jan 03, 2011
- No change in CBI plan to withdraw Bofors case, court told - Jan 06, 2011
- Chronology: Bofors graft row over last 25 years - Apr 25, 2012
- Gadkari questions relations between Gandhis, Quattrocchi - Jan 12, 2011
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Second Lead, superseding previous story) - Apr 25, 2012
- Court to resume Bofors payoff closure case Thursday (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2011
- Delhi court upholds CBI plea in Bofors scam, next hearing in Feb - Jan 06, 2011
- Bofors ghost out again to haunt Congress - Jan 03, 2011
- BJP seeks apology from PM over Quattrocchi (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Bofors payoff closure case deferred to Thursday (Intro Roundup) - Jan 04, 2011
- CBI wants Quattrocchi case withdrawn despite new twist (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: appellate tribunal, bofors gun, bribes, cbi, central bureau of investigation, central government, chadha, external affairs minister, extradition, gun deal, home ministry, indian partner, italian businessman, kickbacks, krishna, local court, magistrate, ministry of external affairs, quattrocchi, yadav