Less than one-third of Mexicans have internet accessMay 19th, 2011 - 10:02 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 19 (IANS/EFE) Less than a third of Mexican people have access to the internet, says a study by the Mexican Internet Association.
Of the country’s 113 million citizens, just 34.9 million are internet users.
“The growth trends are recovering in terms of internet penetration in Mexico,” said association president Mauricio Braverman while presenting the study.
Over the past 10 years, the number of computers in Mexican households has tripled, increasing faster than the number of television sets and automobiles.
Almost half of the internet users go online from their homes, while 39 percent do so from public places and 19 percent do so from work. Three out of every five web users are people under age 24.
Participating in online social networks is one of the favourite activities of internet users, with women slightly more inclined to use those services than men.
Six out of every 10 Mexican web users regularly log on to social networking sites, preferring Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Hi5, in that order.
E-mail, instant messaging and accessing photographs and videos comprise the majority of the three-and-a-half hours each day that people devote to internet activities.
- Hackers target Mexican government websites - Sep 17, 2011
- Over three mn Mexican teens have posted racy photos on Web - Mar 06, 2012
- 11 percent rise in number of Internet users in Mexico - May 19, 2010
- Mexican president has 100/000 followers on Twitter - Sep 08, 2010
- Women form bulk of Mexico's Twitter users - Mar 09, 2011
- Baby put on sale online in Mexico - Feb 13, 2012
- Facebook 'more popular than porn with UK Internet users' - Mar 19, 2011
- Now listen to complete 'Don Quixote' on YouTube - Mar 23, 2011
- Medvedev praises development of internet - Apr 19, 2012
- Demand for private security services in Mexico up 40 percent - Dec 18, 2011
- New social networking website launched in Spain - Mar 03, 2011
- Anahi makes US debut as shoe designer - Aug 22, 2012
- Google offers virtual visits to Mexican archaeological sites - Aug 18, 2012
- Carlos Slim launches new TV channel on Internet - Jul 18, 2012
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: association president, braverman, e mail, growth trends, half hours, Hi5, internet activities, internet association, internet penetration, internet users, mauricio, mexican internet, mexican web, mexicans, mexico city, online social networks, social networking sites, television sets, twitter, web users