Less road accidents at night in Delhi: PoliceApril 18th, 2012 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) The number of road accidents in Delhi during the night have gone down by over 10 percent from January to mid-March 2012 as compared to the corresponding period in 2011, Delhi Police said Wednesday.
While 270 fatal accidents took place from Jan 1 to April 15 in 2011, the figure dropped to 240 in 2012, said a message posted by Satyendra Garg, joint commissioner of police, on the department’s Facebook page. The page has over 1,00,000 followers.
“While there is understandable concern for high-end vehicles getting involved in accidents on city roads in night, in the first three-and-half months of 2012, night accidents have come down by more than 10 percent,” posted the officer. “Last year up to 15th April, city had 270 fatal accidents, which have come down to 240 this year.”
Garg attributed the decline to better traffic management and focusing on accident-prone roads and intersections.
“We are working on getting better systems such as speed cameras to further reduce these accidents… reason for success is better traffic management and interventions on roads witnessing more accidents,” he said.
There have been several road accidents during the night and early morning hours this year.
A young businessman driving a Lamborghini at high speed died Feb 19 after his car crashed into a railing on the Bus Rapid Transit Corridor near Panchsheel Enclave. The car also hit a cycle, leaving the rider paralysed.
Three young men were killed March 13 when their Mitsubishi Lancer rammed into a stationary bus in Saket.
A 23-year-old MBA student died April 13 when his Toyota Corolla turned turtle after hitting a road divider in South Delhi.
A police constable was killed and another injured April 8 when a Mercedes driver hit the motorcycle they were riding during a night patrol in Paschim Vihar.
- MBA student killed while speeding on Delhi road (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- MBA student killed while speeding on Delhi road (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Driving at high speed, man killed in Delhi accident - Apr 13, 2012
- Drunken driving top road killer: Report - Jul 31, 2012
- Fatal accidents, deaths down in Delhi: Police - Mar 18, 2012
- Delhi's killer roads: Recalling some major accidents - Feb 20, 2012
- Sports car driver killed in crash (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- 1 dead, in sports car crash in Delhi - Feb 19, 2012
- Delhi drive: 543 commercial vehicles prosecuted - Jul 13, 2011
- February: A month of grave accidents in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Cyclist injured in Delhi car crash stable - Feb 20, 2012
- February: A month of grave accidents in Delhi - Feb 28, 2012
- SUV rams into car, turns turtle in Delhi - Jul 18, 2012
- Hike fines for traffic violations, say police - Oct 04, 2011
- Lamborghini crash: Injured man could be paralysed for life (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: better traffic, bus rapid transit, city roads, commissioner of police, delhi police, facebook, fatal accidents, mba student, mid march, mitsubishi lancer, panchsheel, police constable, road accidents, south delhi, speed cameras, three young men, toyota corolla, traffic management, transit corridor, understandable concern