Lesotho thanks India for help in training professionalsNovember 4th, 2008 - 11:00 am ICT by IANS
Maseru, Nov 4 (IANS) Lesotho Deputy Prime Minister Archibald Lesao Lehohla has lauded the constructive role being played by the local Indian community in the tiny southern African kingdom which is landlocked by South Africa.Lehohla was speaking at an India Day event Sunday at the Manthabiseng Convention Centre in this capital, organised by the Indian Association of Lesotho in collaboration with the Indian high commission.
The different facets of India’s cultural heritage and contemporary developments among the Indian community in the kingdom of Lesotho were highlighted at the event, spearheaded by an impressive performance from a 12-member Gujarati dance troupe, Panghat Performing Arts, sponsored by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations.
Lesotho Foreign Minister Mohlabi Kenneth Tsekoa, citing the message of peace and non-violence espoused by Mahatma Gandhi as an example for all, said relations between India and his country have “grown from strength to strength” over the years.
Tsekoa thanked the government of India for the development cooperation agreements it had entered into with Lesotho, especially in training a large number of Lesotho nationals in a variety of professional programmes.
Rajiv Bhatia, India’s High Commissioner to South Africa, who is concurrently accredited to Lesotho, underlined the need to fully utilise the potential that existed between the two countries to further strengthen relations.
Bhatia commended the Indian Association of Lesotho for its initiative in organising the ‘India Day’, as well as for its important role in the socio-economic development of the kingdom.
While the 650 guests were treated to a Bollywood bonanza, fashion show, bhangra and other dances, representatives of the Bank of India and the National Small Industries Corporation interacted with their counterparts and interested entities to explore the possibilities of greater cooperation with Lesotho in future.
- India to train Lesotho police - Feb 22, 2011
- Joshi underlines rural development cooperation between India, Lesotho - Mar 10, 2010
- Is there a China-India race in Africa? (Comment) - Nov 14, 2010
- Indian dances in New York dance festival - Jul 20, 2012
- India to host Africa Festival (With Image) - Jun 06, 2012
- India mulling free trade pacts with African countries - May 15, 2012
- Tagore's 'Chitra' holds audiences spellbound in Trinidad and Tobago - Dec 03, 2011
- India for early conclusion of trade pact with southern Africa - Jan 11, 2011
- India steps up knowledge diplomacy with Africa - Jan 18, 2012
- India concerned over rising tensions in South China Sea - Jul 17, 2012
- India, United Kingdom sign defence research pact - Sep 16, 2011
- IGNOU to power India-Africa Virtual University - May 25, 2011
- Vietnam president praises India's economic, technical help - Jul 18, 2012
- India to partner African resurgence, denies China rivalry (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Saudi envoy calls on PM, reiterates cooperation with India - Mar 29, 2011