Leopard strays into Himachal Pradesh houseJanuary 20th, 2009 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 20 (IANS) A family in a Himachal Pradesh village was at its wits end when it came face to face with a leopard that strayed into their house late night.The big cat barged into the house of Prem Singh of Saranda village in Mandi district while chasing a dog. The family was asleep at that time.
“We (the family) woke up in the middle of the night Sunday hearing the high pitched shrieks of the dog that was being mauled by the feline. We had to spend more than 12 hours in a room until the leopard was made immobile with tranquiliser darts by the forest department officials,” Singh told IANS on phone Tuesday.
He said fortunately the leopard did not enter the room where the family was holed up.
“After four hours of herculean operation, we (forest staff) were able to administer sedatives to the leopard in the afternoon (Monday),” Divisional Forest Officer Sushil Moudgil said.
He said the four-year-old female wild cat was carted to the Gopalpur zoo in Palampur.
“Since the animal got some bruises on its face while trying to break loose, it was sent to the zoo for observation and treatment. After few days, it will be again released in the wild,” Moudgil said.
The incidents of straying of wild animals, especially leopards, into human habitations are common in Kangra, Una, Hamirpur, Mandi and Bilaspur districts, particularly during winters.
Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests A.K. Gulati attributes the straying of predators into habitations to declining prey-predator ratio and human interference.
- Hot on trail of a Himachal leopard - with GPS - Oct 26, 2010
- Leopard attacks on humans on rise in Himachal - Mar 01, 2010
- Odisha releases captured leopard after protests - Aug 08, 2012
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow, vanishes (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Barking dogs attract leopards from wild - Oct 10, 2011
- Leopard pays a visit to Hema Malini's bungalow - May 27, 2011
- Critically endangered leopard filmed in northeast China - Apr 18, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini bungalow, vanishes (Third Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Leopard strays into heart of Guwahati, mauls three people - Jan 07, 2012
- Odisha to release captured leopard into wild - Aug 07, 2012
- Leopard strays into Shimla, condition critical (Lead) - Feb 25, 2010
- Captured leopard dies at Punjab zoo - May 19, 2010
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Assam forest ranger rescues leopard, gets injured - Jul 26, 2011
- Leopard strikes again in Guwahati - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: big cat, bilaspur, chief conservator, department officials, forest department, forest officer, forest staff, gulati, hamirpur, himachal pradesh, human habitations, human interference, leopards, palampur, shimla, shrieks, strays, wild animals, wild cat, wits end