Legendary goalkeeper Peter Thangaraj passes awayNovember 25th, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) India’s legendary goalkeeper Peter Thangaraj passed away in Bokaro Monday night following a heart-attack. He was 74.Thangaraj, nicknamed ‘lamp post’ during his playing days, is survived by his wife, a son and three daughters.
He belonged to the golden era of India football and was part of the team that won gold in the 1962 Asian Games in Jakarta and finished runners-up in the 1964 Asia Cup in Tel Aviv.
Thangaraj also played in the 1956 Melbourne and 1960 Rome Olympics. India finished fourth in Melbourne, which remained its best performance in the mega event.
- Olympian Thangaraj, towering figure between goalposts, dies (Lead) - Nov 25, 2008
- Country's football greats salute the towering Thangaraj - Nov 25, 2008
- India's football heroes of Rome Olympics felicitated - Apr 13, 2011
- History will be on India's side in AFC Asian Cup - Jan 06, 2011
- History will favour India in AFC Asian Cup (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Olympian footballers remember 'Rahim Saab' on his birth centenary - Aug 17, 2009
- Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumously - Jul 30, 2012
- Hockey India to pursue Leslie's quest for lost gold medals - Jul 24, 2012
- This is absolutely thrilling: Hockey legend Claudius - Feb 27, 2012
- World Cup Roll of Honour - Apr 01, 2011
- Mumbai sports scribes sweep team titles at national meet - Mar 24, 2012
- Thailand defend ASEAN U-13 Cup football title (With Image) - Jul 15, 2012
- This Thanga was pure 24-carrat every inch of his frame (Tribute) - Nov 25, 2008
- Australian Open: Mirza and Vesnina advance to second round - Jan 19, 2012
- House where JFK had affair with Monroe now on sale - Apr 29, 2012