Left rout ‘historic verdict’, says Mamata (Second Lead)May 13th, 2011 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 13 (IANS) An emotive and overjoyed Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Friday described the Left rout in West Bengal as “a historic verdict” and compared it to the country’s freedom struggle.
Addressing jubilant crowds outside her Kalighat residence in south Kolkata, Banerjee promised to give good governance during the next five years.
“This is a complete victory of democracy… This is a historic verdict. After 34 years, Bengal has got new freedom,” she thundered, addressing a crowd of thousands that keep cheering her.
“This is just like a freedom struggle. We want to dedicate the victory to the people and the motherland,” she said.
She asserted that peace would be restored in the state where political killings have left scores dead in recent years.
She appealed for calm even as Trinamool supporters celebrated the party’s sweeping victory that ended 34 long years of Left Front rule led by the Communist Party of India-Maxist (CPI-M).
Banerjee said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is currently in Afghanistan, had called her to congratulate her. Congress president Sonia Gandhi too congratulated Banerjee.
- Victory of people, new freedom for Bengal: Mamata (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Mamata tsunami sweeps away 34 years of Left rule in Bengal (Night Roundup) - May 14, 2011
- Mamata tsunami sweeps away 34 years of Left rule in Bengal (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- PM, Sonia congratulate Mamata - May 13, 2011
- Hundreds continue to throng Mamata's Kalighat house - May 14, 2011
- PM congratulates Mamata, Gogoi - May 13, 2011
- Trinamool, AIADMK poised to win, Left fights in Kerala - May 13, 2011
- West Bengal gets its first woman chief minister (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Exeunt Left, enter Mamata and Jayalalithaa, stay on Congress (Afternoon Lead) - May 13, 2011
- A pilgrim spot? No, it's Mamata's home - May 20, 2011
- Three victories for Mamata on golden Wednesday - Sep 28, 2011
- Mamata takes over Bengal reins, walks history road (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- Banerjee set to become Bengal's first woman chief minister (Second Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Intellectuals close to Trinamool congratulate Mamata - May 14, 2011
- Mamata takes over Bengal reins, walks history road (Intro Roundup) - May 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,