Left repeats ‘no’ on IAEA pactJune 18th, 2008 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) The Left parties Wednesday said the Manmohan Singh government should not go to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to finalise the India-specific safeguards agreement as there was no final opinion on the text of the pact. A meeting of the four Left parties, which extend a crucial legislative support to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government, decided to reject the government’s fresh request for a green signal to seal the IAEA pact.
The ageement with the IAEA is a necessary step to make the India-US nuclear deal operational.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left parties met hours after the government postponed a scheduled meeting of United Progressive Alliance (UPA)-Left nuclear committee.
The next meeting of the committee is scheduled June 25.
- Government non-committal in reply to Left - Jul 07, 2008
- It's now or never, government advises Left (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- CPI-M threatens government over nuclear deal - Jun 19, 2008
- Government's fate to be decided June 25: Karat - Jun 20, 2008
- Left begins parleys over government's tough stance on n-deal(To go with 'It's now or never, government advises Left') - Jun 18, 2008
- Left-UPA stalemate over n-deal continues (Night Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- Left to reject government's plea on IAEA pact (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2008
- Amid CPI-M warning, PM gets support from allies on N deal (Lead) - Jun 19, 2008
- Amidst IAEA fiasco, UPA says it can face parliament - Jul 10, 2008
- UPA-Left nuclear meeting postponed till next week (Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- Milestones in India-US n-deal - Oct 02, 2008
- US, India wrap up reprocessing negotiations, fast-track n-deal (Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- UPA-Left n-panel meeting postponed to June (Lead) - May 26, 2008
- Antony brought into n-deal talks on PM's request - Jun 22, 2008
- UPA-Left coordination committee meet on nuclear deal postponed - Jun 18, 2008