Left delegation to visit violence-hit OrissaSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 2 (IANS) A Left Front (LF) delegation will visit the violence-hit areas of Orissa where Christian communities were attacked allegedly by Hindu fanatics, West Bengal LF chairman Biman Bose said here Tuesday.”We’ve decided in the LF meeting that a Left delegation, led by central-level leaders, will visit the trouble-torn areas in Orissa. I have already talked to our Left coordination leaders regarding the visit,” Bose told reporters here.
Condemning the attack on Christian minority, he said earlier a team of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leaders, led by party politburo member Brinda Karat, took an initiative to visit the place but they were stopped on the way.
“When we approached the union home ministry and informed them about the incident, we were told that the ministry was busy tackling the law and order issue there,” Bose said.
The state has witnessed communal violence since Aug 23 when Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati, a member of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s central advisory committee, and four others were killed by suspected Maoist guerrillas at his Jalespata ashram in Kandhamal.
Kandhamal district, with a population of around 600,000, of whom 150,000 are Christians, has witnessed many clashes between Hindus and Christians in the past.
Orissa is not new to communal violence between Hindus and Christians.
On Jan 22, 1999, Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons, 10-year-old Philip and six-year-old Timothy, were burnt alive by a Hindu radical mob in their vehicle in Keonjhar district.
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Togadia released after trying to enter Kandhamal - Mar 20, 2010
- EU team meets police, Christian leaders over Kandhamal - Feb 04, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- 18 acquitted in Kandhamal riot cases - Jan 29, 2011
- BJP criticises permission for EU team's Kandhamal visit - Feb 06, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- 'Laxmanananda not a VHP leader as projected in media' - Feb 15, 2010